Best wrist watch dive computer for the $? Suunto D9? Aeris Epic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fourseventeen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to get rid of my suunto cobra as I dont like having all this stuff dangling around. I am really considering getting a wrist watch style computer. I have been doing a little research and for the money it seems that either the D9 or the Epic may be my best choice for the money? Best price I have came across for the D9 with transmitter is $1025.00 and for the Epic with transmitter I have seen for about $700.00

Anyone have experience with either of these units? Or think there is a better model in the same price range that is wireless/air integrated and has a digital compass built in. I really like the Oceanic OC1 but that baby is way out of the price range I want to spend. I am a novice diver (about to work on my AOW and then Rescue) but I always like to have the nicer toys.

Any input or advice is appreciated. Also if you happen to see these units for sale at a better deal somewhere please let me know. I will consider used if in like new condition and still under warrantee.

With the understanding that it is an expensive and unnecessary gadget, as you say, I can recommend the D9. Mine has worked flawlessly for about 4 years. I have never seen even a momentary lapse in transmission and it pairs effortlessly pre-dive. Navigating the menus is intuitive and easy. There is some leeway to customize the model by choosing conservatism and deep-stops options. I don't have much cause to use the compass, but it is functional for my purposes. For more serious navigational needs (eg, search, low viz) I would prefer a dedicated compass. That looks like a pretty good price.

Thanks vladamir. Yeah i completely agree that it is not a needed device and I know my Cobra is perfect for my needs...I would just really like to get rid of the extra hanging objects from my rig. I was wanting a watch with compass so I could ditch my console mounted compass as well. Since I will be doing AOW and Rescue Diver certs soon I know I will need to have a compass...hopefully the D9's compass will work for AOW and Rescue courses.
I liked the idea of some of the other computer watches that allows you to pair with not only your air tank but that of your buddy as well (in my case my newly certified wife) so I could also monitor her air BUT the D9 doesnt do this I dont think? The buddy air thing isnt a make or break deal on which watch I get but it would have been a nice bonus...even though the extra trasmitters are costly!

$1025 seems like a good deal, is it the titanium band version? Where did you find the price?

I have an Aeris Atmos AI that works good but I'm not a fan of the integrated air. My computer has a hose and quick disconnect so it's not exactly what you are looking at. I wish I would have gone with a simple SPG for depth/pressure (mainly pressure) and a D6. I have some friends that dive the D6 and are huge fans of it. They dive them daily as it's thier job.

Depending on what you want to spend and what features matter, I would look at the Oceanic OC1, The Oceanic Atom/Aeris Epic or the Oceanic GEO.

For a number of reasons, not least of which are all the Suunto threads I have seen here, I personally would not buy a Suunto. That said, I have never owned one and perhaps they are better than they appear to be. I am just stating my opinion, and I am sure there are others who think it is a great computer.

1025 is NOT the titanium band. I think that was about 300.00 extra. since I would only use this watch for diving I could careless for the Ti band.
My Cobra is air integrated and I dont mind it at all. Its a real nice computer...just dont like having things all over the place. If I can streamline a little with a watch computer then for me it would be worth a little cash. Plus I think I would tend to pay more attention to a watch since I look at my wrist watch on a regular basis now.

Depending on what you want to spend and what features matter, I would look at the Oceanic OC1, The Oceanic Atom/Aeris Epic or the Oceanic GEO.

For a number of reasons, not least of which are all the Suunto threads I have seen here, I personally would not buy a Suunto. That said, I have never owned one and perhaps they are better than they appear to be. I am just stating my opinion, and I am sure there are others who think it is a great computer.

I have owned 2 Suunto computers and never had any complaints. As stated in my initial post...I like the Oceanic OC1 BUT its far to costly. I just cant see spending 1600 on a watch/transmitter ill use about 20-30 times a year.

Last edited:
I understand about the OC1. That's why I listed the others as well. My wife, sons and I all have dived various models of Aeris and Oceanic computers and are very happy with them.

I don't keep up on Suunto prices but I thought the D9 and the OC1 were within a few hundred dollars of each other.

No reason to spend that much though, unless you just want to or really need the built in compass. Atom or Epic paired with a good compass is a lot less.

If you are happy with Suunto products, maybe stick with that brand.

Check out the DataMask even better IMO then a wrist as everything is always right there in front of you. But this question you will get a lot of different answers as "Best" is different for each person. Me personally If I was going to buy a wrist computer it would be one of the following "Liquid Vision X1 -- Shearwater Predator -- ScubaPro Galilio Sol -- Mares Icon HD" Would be the choices for me. Once I am ready to change it will be either the Liquid Vision, or predator

If you go the Aeris way, ScubaToys has demo units of the Epic and Elite for around $540 and that would be with free shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom