Off-Season Red Sea Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frnak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all.

I posted this in the liveaboard section, but after browsing around a bit it might fit better here. Sorry for the double post!

I'm arranging a Red Sea liveaboard for a group of divers. It will be the first liveaboard for all of us (except if our instructor tags along), and we're all relatively inexperienced. We are planning to do plenty of dives this summer and early next winter in preparation for it though, and getting our AOW before we go.

Can anyone comment on the conditions in the northern Red Sea in January? I've gathered that's an off-season month, but I'd love to hear first hand what the disadvantages or differences are.

I'd also love to get some recommendations for boats down there. We've mainly been looking at Sharm el Sheikh on divetheworldliveaboards DOT com (not allowed to post links yet)

Any comments are greatly appreciated

Hi There,

Its an excellent idea to get in as many dives as you can before you join the trip -make sure you log all your dives as some sites in the Red Sea require proof of diving experience. If you don't get a chance to do your Advanced course you can do it on the liveaboard trip. Your Enriched Air Diver cert (theory course) may be a good idea as some boats offer free Nitrox.

The water temperature in January should be between 19-22 degrees (at its coldest) but I guess for Iceland divers it may be considered warm.:)

Normally, the visibility in January is good but this can change with a bit of wave action, although this can the bring smaller fish out to feed in turn bringing the bigger fish out to feed on them.

Sinai Peninsula Dive Sites are better for less experienced divers.

Hey.

Nice to hear that you've decided to come to the Red Sea for your dive holiday. You have good questions and I'll try to help you out as much as I can. I've lived and worked here since 1999 and I love the diving here. Actually I had a group from Iceland on my boat two years ago and we had a great time together.

First: January is indeed somewhat "off season" but there is still loads to see and you can be lucky with the weather and get nice warm calm days even if there is a risk it'll be a bit windy as well. The temperature is a bit lower both in the water and the air and a lot of divers actually use dry suit at that time of year. If you want details on the weather you can have a look at my Red Sea Info website. Go to WELCOME TO AZIAB and click on "Yearly Cycle". A lot of Liveaboard Operators chose to take their boats up in Dry Dock at this time so don't expect the market to flood with empty bunks.

I would recommend a trip in the southern Red Sea and that's because of several reasons. First of all there are less boats hence less divers. There are also some really cool dive sites down there with good chance to see big fish. Also it's slightly warmer down south than it is in the north. Not much but a bit.

Depending on how far you get with your plans as to get your AOW and lots of dives under your belt you might pick different itineraries but either way you will get to dive on sites of absolute world class. Any Liveaboard Operator worth diving with will ask to see your dive log and cert card. The minimum qualification for the off shore marine parks is AOW or 50 logged dives. This is a rule and good operators follow the rules. Make sure you have all documentations with you.

I hope this helps for now and feel free to email me if you need further info. I've got plenty of time.

...a....

Can anyone comment on the conditions in the northern Red Sea in January? I've gathered that's an off-season month, but I'd love to hear first hand what the disadvantages or differences are.
As my friend Samaka said, in January you might get some calm conditions, although it's normally windy. Regarding the off-season, actually the first 2 weeks of January are high season. Then you have 2 and half months of slower pace.

Regarding boat recommendation, what level are you looking for?

Hi There,

Its an excellent idea to get in as many dives as you can before you join the trip -make sure you log all your dives as some sites in the Red Sea require proof of diving experience. If you don't get a chance to do your Advanced course you can do it on the liveaboard trip. Your Enriched Air Diver cert (theory course) may be a good idea as some boats offer free Nitrox.

The water temperature in January should be between 19-22 degrees (at its coldest) but I guess for Iceland divers it may be considered warm.:)

Normally, the visibility in January is good but this can change with a bit of wave action, although this can the bring smaller fish out to feed in turn bringing the bigger fish out to feed on them.

Sinai Peninsula Dive Sites are better for less experienced divers.

Yes I'm definitely planning to do the nitrox course as a part of the AOW. 19° is warm compared to over here, I did my certification dives in 2° glacial spring :)

Would November be a lot different?

Thanks for the link, checking it out now

Hey.

Nice to hear that you've decided to come to the Red Sea for your dive holiday. You have good questions and I'll try to help you out as much as I can. I've lived and worked here since 1999 and I love the diving here. Actually I had a group from Iceland on my boat two years ago and we had a great time together.

First: January is indeed somewhat "off season" but there is still loads to see and you can be lucky with the weather and get nice warm calm days even if there is a risk it'll be a bit windy as well. The temperature is a bit lower both in the water and the air and a lot of divers actually use dry suit at that time of year. If you want details on the weather you can have a look at my Red Sea Info website. Go to WELCOME TO AZIAB and click on "Yearly Cycle". A lot of Liveaboard Operators chose to take their boats up in Dry Dock at this time so don't expect the market to flood with empty bunks.

I would recommend a trip in the southern Red Sea and that's because of several reasons. First of all there are less boats hence less divers. There are also some really cool dive sites down there with good chance to see big fish. Also it's slightly warmer down south than it is in the north. Not much but a bit.

Depending on how far you get with your plans as to get your AOW and lots of dives under your belt you might pick different itineraries but either way you will get to dive on sites of absolute world class. Any Liveaboard Operator worth diving with will ask to see your dive log and cert card. The minimum qualification for the off shore marine parks is AOW or 50 logged dives. This is a rule and good operators follow the rules. Make sure you have all documentations with you.

I hope this helps for now and feel free to email me if you need further info. I've got plenty of time.

...a....

So that's definitely AOW OR 50 dives? I always took it as meaning both were required. I will definitely have my AOW by then, but probably not 50 logged dives.

I know many in my group would be put off by the idea of diving in drysuits over there, and having little experience I have to ask: are 19°-22° normally too cold for wetsuits?
I asked the other poster this as well, but would November would be a lot different?

We were in Mexico the other day, and one of the guys forgot their logbook and OW certification card, couldn't dive, so yes I will remember to bring everything! :)

Thanks for the information, I'm sure I'll send you more questions later!

As my friend Samaka said, in January you might get some calm conditions, although it's normally windy. Regarding the off-season, actually the first 2 weeks of January are high season. Then you have 2 and half months of slower pace.

Regarding boat recommendation, what level are you looking for?

We are looking for a budget boat. ~7 days and ~20 dives. Since I haven't shopped around much this may or may not be reasonable, but we're aiming for $1000 for the boat, preferably with free Nitrox on board and all meals included... If this is way off, please let me know :wink:

We are looking for a budget boat. ~7 days and ~20 dives. Since I haven't shopped around much this may or may not be reasonable, but we're aiming for $1000 for the boat, preferably with free Nitrox on board and all meals included... If this is way off, please let me know :wink:
$1000 for the boat per day? Or you mean $1000 per person for the trip?

Regarding the AOW and (not or) 50 dives, that's for marine parks only (the southern islands Samaka recommended). For the northern itinerary it's normally AOW and 20 to 30 dives.

So that's definitely AOW OR 50 dives? I always took it as meaning both were required. I will definitely have my AOW by then, but probably not 50 logged dives.
Yes it is AOW or 50 dives. This is for the Off shore Marinparks as Asser pointed out. But then you have areas in the south like St. John's, Fury Shoal, Wadi Gemal and other with excellent dive sites and very easy dives where there is no rule like that
I know many in my group would be put off by the idea of diving in drysuits over there, and having little experience I have to ask: are 19°-22° normally too cold for wetsuits?
I asked the other poster this as well, but would November would be a lot different?
Of course most guests are in wetsuits, even some shorties, last New Years I had a mad guy from UK diving all week ion shorts and Tshirt. Coming down here from Iceland I guess you won't be too cold ;o)
We were in Mexico the other day, and one of the guys forgot their logbook and OW certification card, couldn't dive, so yes I will remember to bring everything! :)
You were in Mexico "the other day"? You are travelling quite a lot I imagine... he he he...
Thanks for the information, I'm sure I'll send you more questions later!
Any time mate... Any time...

...a...

$1000 for the boat per day? Or you mean $1000 per person for the trip?

Regarding the AOW and (not or) 50 dives, that's for marine parks only (the southern islands Samaka recommended). For the northern itinerary it's normally AOW and 20 to 30 dives.

Yeah sorry I wasn't clear on that :) I meant $1000 per person for the trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom