GUE Fundamentals Rec/Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monkey_Gland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Wanting to take Fundamentals soon though I'm not really interested in diving doubles etc at the moment. My question is: I know I can do Fundamentals with a single tank rig and that gets me a rec pass, correct? Can I later upgrade to a tech pass if I decide to go that way? Is this the only difference between the two passes?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Once you have a recreational pass, you have an unlimited time to upgrade to a tech pass.

The differences between the two passes involve gear (doubles, can light, and back up lights required for the tech pass), procedural differences (doubles valve drill, back up light deployment for the tech pass), and degree of precision (smaller buoyancy and trim windows for the tech pass).

Once you have a recreational pass, you have an unlimited time to upgrade to a tech pass.

The differences between the two passes involve gear (doubles, can light, and back up lights required for the tech pass), procedural differences (doubles valve drill, back up light deployment for the tech pass), and degree of precision (smaller buoyancy and trim windows for the tech pass).

Ok, thanks. Is simply going for the Rec pass the best use of this course material?

You said you're not interested in doubles at the moment. Go for the rec pass. If you some day decide you want to do T1 or C1, you can then challenge for the tech pass.

Ok cool, thanks.

Ok cool, thanks.

You can always take a double course after getting rec pass so that you can just concentrate on learning doubles setup with GUE procedures and DIR equipment config. Its a great way to learn over time and really get comfortable, and it might be what I end up doing.

You can always take a double course after getting rec pass so that you can just concentrate on learning doubles setup with GUE procedures and DIR equipment config. Its a great way to learn over time and really get comfortable, and it might be what I end up doing.

That's a very good suggestion. :thumb:

You may never want to get into doubles, if you don't want to do dives that you need doubles for. Nonetheless, the skills you learn from the class will make all your recreational diving more fun. Do Fundies in a single tank, and then go dive and have a good time. As my Rec 2 instructor told me, "Do all the dives you can do with the certification you have, and when you get bored, then go get more training."

I just did GUE-F with Bob Sherwood and it was worth every penny. The skills are something I will use for the rest of my life. Not to mention the back kick that I use so much on any given dive. Wish I took the class many years ago even if it was in a single tank. :D

If you take the class in a single you can learn some of the "tech pass" extras by diving a light can & perhaps you can ask your instructor to learn some of the additional skills such as back up light deployment and the extra steps in the OOG drill.

I just did GUE-F with Bob Sherwood and it was worth every penny. The skills are something I will use for the rest of my life. Not to mention the back kick that I use so much on any given dive. Wish I took the class many years ago even if it was in a single tank. :D

I agree. I also wish I took the class much earlier. The skills are so useful!

Congrats Mayor - glad to hear it went well :)!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom