help me narrow my search-please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadabingM3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok all,

I must have OCD because i've searched, racked and stacked my options for most resorts and dive shops in Dahab. So now I'd like to ask what you all think.

What I want at the end is a dive shop located within the hotel (don't feel like having to walk 2 miles to another dive shop) that can offer boat dives/jeep trips to the best dive sites in the area, including the Thrislegorm wreck (spelling??) anyway, good diving and good service.

As for the hotel, close to town center, clean, nice, and relaxing with good food and good atmosphere for end of the day dives.

what I've looked at:

Fantasea diving at the Coral Coast Hotel (my top choice...I think)

Reef 2000 at Bedouin Moon (booking with longwoodholidays)

Blue Realm Diving at Blue Beach Hotel

Tropital hotel (a bit out of town?)

Inmodivers & resort (don't offer dives to the wrecks - distance?)

Christina Hotel & Inmodivers

So, what do you all suggest? Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Very few dive centres have daily boat trips (i can think of 2) as Dahab is nearly entirely shore diving by truck.

All can offer Thistlegorm, some offer the "leave 11pm, sleep on deck until the boat leaves at 4am" slow boats and others offer the 5am start on the faster boats. At best you're looking at a 17 hour day to do Thistlegorm, longer if slow boats.

All dive centres go to the same sites at roughly the same times.

Very little to choose between the centres for prices too. Pick a hotel you like, it probably has a dive centre, use that. Probably easiest.

If you want close to what passes for town then forget inmo and tropitel as they're miles away.

Fantasea are fine, blue beach are fine (and do really got steaks too). Reef 2000 are fine but are about 30 mins walk from town as they're located north of it on the road to Canyon.

If its any consilation I am in the same boat and I leave on 25th May!!

Came down to 2 options. Stay and dive with red sea relax or stay at Dolphin camp and dive with octopuss. To be honest I ain't that bothered about accomdation, would rather go cheap hotel and leave more money for diving and beer.

+1 on that!

I don't require 5* either, but clean, comfortable, safe, nice is allways good to have. I just spent 3 months in a wooden hut with 7 more dudes in Afghanistan, something clean and nice while on vacation is a good thing to look foreward too. Plus the diving.

String:
Fantasea are fine, blue beach are fine (and do really got steaks too). Reef 2000 are fine but are about 30 mins walk from town as they're located north of it on the road to Canyon.

Ditto the Steaks - excellent. :D

Reef2000 is nice, hotel attached, good dive centre. Taxi into town if you really can't walk is about £1 !

Another option (like you need one :wink:) to look at is Dahab Divers. Slap bang in the middle of town, with an excellent dive centre. No pool yet, still being built but rooms are nice, clean, Aircon, Big Fridge, Flat Plasma Telly.. if thats your thing.

Finish your dive :shower: and grab a cold one of your choice on the beach at the one of the bars as the sun sets.. :cool2:

Dahab Divers

agreed, red sea relax sounds like your best option. in the centre, good food, good rooms and good dive centre. can't beat having a beer on the roof terrace watching life go by after a days diving. personally i dive and stay with club red as they are budget friendly and the staff are good with me. you need to go out for food/drink tho, but it's on the front so doesn't bother me

good luck getting regular boat dives. maybe you would be better with sharm! From Dahab, Gabl el Bint is done when there is enough people to go and is well worth it. Also Ras Abu Galum is done by boat, but I strongly recommend you do that one by overnight stay on a camel safari

as for the thistlegorm; i thought all now had to leave at 5am now since the accident last nov where several spanish divers drowned when the boat sunk?

Interesting. I'll have to further look into Sharm. I really want to do those dive sites and not just shore dive. Although I'm sure the house reefs are nice.

Different type of reef. Dahab is mainly fringing reef therefore by default the reef connects to shore so is easy shore diving.

Sharm has a different structure which means a boat is needed. Just because its shore diving doesnt mean the reef isnt as good.

And no, boats dont HAVE to leave at 5am.

Back
Top Bottom