Dive Buddy Qualifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubabaer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving with only 3 dives since my OW June 1 of this year. Those 3 dives were with a group from my LDS. Each time I was buddied with someone with more experiance. Although they were very nice and patient I felt like the kid in school who never gets picked becouse he's not good enough. Or as though they were "stuck" with me. Then the feeling worsened after reading the article in Rodale's about solo diving and some posts on this board. All with very valid arguements.

The seasoned diver either feels he/she is babysitting the newbie or doesn't feel safe becouse of the lack of the newbie's experience in an emergancy. Two newbie's together isn't safe becouse neither has the experience in an emergancy.

So, I was wondering how you seasoned divers feel about hooking up with a much lesser experienced diver.

If I were you I would have a talk with your freinds or find some new ones.

I dive with all kinds of people. As long as the dive is appropriate for us as a team I don't mind the diver being new. I could name plenty of new divers who are fine buddies. Don't get me wrong I expect that the diver hold up their end of the bargin, which is to be as good a buddy as they can. I there is a performance problem during the dive, we handle it as required, talk about it afterward, correct it and go on.

Scubabaer,
First of all, welcome to the board.
You're just lacking self-confidence. Most of the time folks don't mind being buddied with newly-minted divers. Thank heavens they were willing to put up with me. Looking back, everyone was being very helpful even though I felt like a clutz. Sometimes I still feel like a clutz.
Having a good attitude and demonstrate a willingness to learn is most important.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Dont worry about it... we where all newbies once too. Just like MikeFerra said, as long as you are holding up your end of the deal and being the best buddy you can, that all anyone can expect. Any diver that whines about getting stuck with a newbie (unless the level of the dive is too great for the experience level), should be smacked in the head. I would happily share some of my skills and experience with someone else just starting out.

Welcome to the gang & dive safe!
:snorkel:

Remember how you feel now in five years when the newbie needs a buddy.

You will be a better person and diver for it.

I agree with everything said above and will add: I've been with noobs and have usually found that they are more cautious and pay much more attn to things than some of my more expeienced buddies because they are new. I like that. It keeps me doing the same thing and keeps me from pushing...just 3 more minutes..I can get 3 more minutes out of this tank before I HAVE to accend....

As a new diver that has been on a dive with another new diver (both with 9 dives and trained by different LDS's), I didn't find it a big deal. I chose the site where I did my check out dives with my instructor so I would know my way around and we just took it super easy. We got back on the surface with 1000 psi, had an average depth of 40-45 feet, and stayed within reach of my buddie at all times (of course vis was 0-2 feet is some places so you really could not go much further than that.) You are both certified to dive in a safe manner in conditions similar to those you were trained in, so go do it!

I'm a recreational diver, which means diving is supposed to be fun. If I'm not having fun (scared silly I'm about to drown) then it is time to do something else.

Ditto to everything that's been said so far. I would in many cases prefer diving with someone new that some of my regular dive buddies. I know that the newbie will probably be interested in relaxing and enjoying the dive instead of trying to set some kind of personal record or cruising so much that I have to chase them everywhere to stay in the same ocean.

You get down this way, give me a shout, I'll buddy with you.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
Ditto to everything that's been said so far. I would in many cases prefer diving with someone new that some of my regular dive buddies. I know that the newbie will probably be interested in relaxing and enjoying the dive instead of trying to set some kind of personal record or cruising so much that I have to chase them everywhere to stay in the same ocean.

You get down this way, give me a shout, I'll buddy with you.

All that I will add is that if you are ever around here, I'll buddy with you as well. I just like to dive. I am still learning and maybe you were taught a way to do something slightly differently than I was that I can steal (err... use).:)

Back
Top Bottom