Moving To Miami, Fl - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyDiver

Reaction score
My wife and I are moving to Miami, Fl in October and we were hoping to get some advice from the wonderful people here. We are going to fly down this weekend to check out apartments and dive shops. Does anybody have any recommendations on which suburbs or surrounding areas would be good to live in. We were thinking maybe Hollywood.

Also, my wife is a PADI Instructor and I'm a PADI Divemaster. If anybody has any recommendations for dive shops to check out that are looking for people, that would be great too.

Hi CincyDiver,

Hollywood is nice. Its pretty popular and the people that live there that I know seem to like it a lot. I live in Ft Lauderdale and prefer it over Hollywood, but I work here too, I don't have the commute to Miami.

It seems to me the farther south you go from Ft. Lauderdale, the more hectic it gets (traffic, crime, etc...).

I would definitely recommend Broward County over Dade... And I prefer east over west, but I just like to be close to the ocean... Just my opinion.

You may want to do more than a weekend of looking around. There is a lot of area to cover. Maybe someone else can be a bit more specific.

Regardless... I hope you enjoy it down here.
-Joe

I'm really not kidding, there are stores in the Miami area that the help do not speak English. I'm not really complaining, but when you are doing business in any country, the help should speak the official language of thatccountry. Ok, so I'm complaining.

Thanks for the insight into where to live. To be honest, what my wife and I are doing is kind of crazy. I am a web developer and work has been REALLY slow here in Cincinnati. Since I can be out of work anywhere in the world and SCUBA diving is pretty much our life, we've decided now is a good time to move to Florida. We actually don't have any restrictions on where to live except that we wanted to be close to a large job pool and close to good diving.

Please keep the comments coming.

well Hollywood is very diffrent from Miami, maybe more calm and stuff. Miami is great, I lived there for 17yrs, but I gotta tell you its not for everyone. So like someone else said Broward county might be your best bet!

Enjoy the Cuban Food!

If you want to move to Miami, make sure you have your passport up to date. To me its better north of the border. Hollywood is a cool place and you are only15-30 minutes away from some of the best diving.

When you get down here we can show you some good beach dives if you are into that or some great boat operators.
www.scubatyme.com or www.scubafortlauderdale.com

=-) :eek:ut: :boom:

I had the opportunity to move anywhere a few years back and decided to stay put in Broward County. Hollywood is very touristy with the canadians arriving and staying from Thanksgiving to Easter. They don't go too far inland tho. There are a lot of decent places to live, it all depends on what you are willing to compromise for. I didn't want to deal with the tourists, so I moved further west where now I deal with the commuters! I have friends who wouldn't dream of living anywhere else but on the beach- and they pay for it in the high homeowners/flood/hurricane insurance.

As far as diving goes- I am learning the longer I live here that Broward County is the best. Let everybody go to the keys. I'll stay here. Besides you can beach dive here also!

Hope this helps. When you get in town, look me up for a beach dive!

This is some great input, thanks guys! A lot of people seem to like Ft. Lauderdale and Broward County. It looks like that's where we'll concentrate our search.

As far as dive shops go, Force-E looks pretty good to get hooked up with. Anybody have any other suggestions on dive shops to check out.

Thanks!

http://www.diverscovefl.com/

This dive shop in in Davie. Mike and Bradette run a top notch dive shop and are very honest and helpful peole that will not steer you wrong.

or

http://www.diversdirect.com/

You have a more selection of gear there.

Hope this helps you a little on where to start..

Dan

=-) :eek:ut: :boom:

I use a little shop on Dania Beach Blvd called Coastal Marine Diving Supply. The new owner Mike has worked there for many years and the previous owner is still very present, however getting on in years. They have always kept my best interests in mind and are a wealth of info. 954-923-2388.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom