Major Problem !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Option 1: Silicone grease on mustache
Option 2: Trim it up if it is excessively full
Option 3: Trim 1 little stroke below nose across top of mustache. I do this with my goatee.
Option 4: Maybe your mask is not the proper size for you and that is why it is leaking. I know plenty of divers with mustaches or goatees that dive

Define leaking: Water around nose (O.K., somewhat normal).
Mask filling up (to eyes) which would be leaking

I have facial hair and have never had a problem with mask leakage. Maybe it's because I keep it shorter? I don't know but I've seen a lot of divers with it that don't have a problem.
My first guess would be mask fit but since you have over 200 dives I'm guessing you know how to fit a mask.
Good luck, you came to the right place to ask, I'm sure someone here will have a solution.

There is a product that is made for this. Never used it. Looks like a tube of chapstick. Maybe it is. I have heard Vasoline. I would honestly find a mask that fits better. I know a lot of people with mustaches that use nothing and have no problem.

Mask-Sealer-and-Mustache-Wax

Last edited:
I use nothing, when water comes in I exhale thru my nose and clear my mask. I seem to have to clear my mask every breath or every other breath. The trick for me seems to be not inhale thru my nose as there is always water in my mask.

What's the best way to stop your mask from leaking if you have a mustache ???
I've heard of all sorts of solutions but none seem to work. Maybe I have to shave it off.
Regards - ND

There are many ways to deal with this problem and you've gotten some common sense suggestions already. However, I just wanted you to know that it is possible to have a bushy mustache and still get a good seal without using any kind of grease. Do whatever you have to do for now, but I would suggest you keep trying different masks until you find one that "really" fits your face perfectly.

In my experience, with facial hair a very small amout of seepage can be expected when snorkeling or near the surface. But once you descend a couple of meters, if you have a high-quality mask that fits correctly, the water pressure should be sufficient to provide a complete seal, in spite of a full beard and mustache.

FWIW

I suspect that you just have to choose a different mask. I've worn a full beard most of my life and it's never been an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom