Dry suit red sea in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

My buddy and I depart Marsa Ghalib 26th May til 2nd June on liveaboard to St Johns.

Here's my question: my buddy is just starting to get some dives in in his new dry suit. He'll have at least two by the time we leave, but he's keen to get as many in as possible as soon as possible (so he can take his RB out in the UK without needing to faff and fumble with his drysuit cos he's not used to diving dry).

Is it sensible to dive dry in Egypt in late May/Early June? I'm thinking more about overheating here, especially on the rib from the boat to the dive site. I'm thinking it should be fine but to those of you who know the red sea AND dry suit diving - is there any reason why diving dry this time of year might be a problem?

Thanks,
John

p.s. he usually lives in Thailand and is used to water of 30C+ so once in the water I don't see the dry suit as being a problem this time of year in the red sea.

In the water it wont be an issue just the surface.

What type of suit is it? Neoprene or Membrane? If membrane just wearing t-shirt or shorts underneath might be ok. If its neo then may not be able to avoid overheating.

Just get in at the last minute and get in the water immediately.

It's neoprene unfortunately.

When you say 'get in at the last minute' do you mean on the boat before you get into the rib or in the rib? I suspect getting dressed in the rib could be a big PITA. My thought was he could have the suit down round his waist in the rib and then just suit up the rest at last minute?

Cheers,
J

I think this might be a bit difficult, especially when it comes to rough sea conditions.

As Asser says, this will be difficult - if not impossible. It's not at all like in UK. You need to be 100% ready to rool in as you enter the rib from the main vessel. Think of the rib ride as nothing but an extended giant stride. Most of the dive sites where you are getting transport in the rib to the entry point of the dive you spend less than 10 minutes in the rib.

I explain the procedures for rib - or Zodiac as they are known here in Egypt - on my website DIVING FROM LIVEABOARDS IN EGYPT Have a look there.

...a...

As Asser says, this will be difficult - if not impossible. It's not at all like in UK. You need to be 100% ready to rool in as you enter the rib from the main vessel. Think of the rib ride as nothing but an extended giant stride. Most of the dive sites where you are getting transport in the rib to the entry point of the dive you spend less than 10 minutes in the rib.

I explain the procedures for rib - or Zodiac as they are known here in Egypt - on my website DIVING FROM LIVEABOARDS IN EGYPT Have a look there.

...a...

Hi Samaka, Shadow,

Thanks for your posts and for injecting some reality. I've dived off several liveabords in the red sea and indeed most of our entries were negative and with a 5 min rib ride. It would indeed be tough to kit up in these circumstances. You'd certainly be a little stressed which is certainly not how I like to start a dive.

I guess the question then becomes - is a ten minute ride in a rib (plus say 10 minutes waiting to get in the rib of for others to get in it) in a neoprene dry suit tolerable. I'm a sweater so I know the answer for me would be in the negative but my friend is the opposite and gets cold easily so can tolerate heat much better than I. However, 20-30 mins in a dry suit under the baking Egyptian sun in June sounds pretty unbearable to me. Would you concur?

J

I guess the question then becomes - is a ten minute ride in a rib (plus say 10 minutes waiting to get in the rib of for others to get in it) in a neoprene dry suit tolerable. I'm a sweater so I know the answer for me would be in the negative but my friend is the opposite and gets cold easily so can tolerate heat much better than I. However, 20-30 mins in a dry suit under the baking Egyptian sun in June sounds pretty unbearable to me. Would you concur?
It's unbearable to me as well.

Can your friend get a wet suit in addition to the dry? So that he dives wet if it's unbearable to him.

Yeah guys I think we all belong to the same club there... he he he... It's not to be recommended for anyone to be over heated, dehydrated, exhausted and stressed out minutes before making a negative entry to hurry down to 40 meters in pounding current.

I think there is a scale in hell here. In one end - the situation above and in the other end - "keen to get as many in as possible as soon as possible"... For me that choice would be very easy and to be honest, if I was the guide on that boat you're going to dive from I might "strongly suggest" that he dives wet.

Which boat are you going on anyways? I’m just curious... and since I'm not a cat that's not dangerous to me at all ;o)

...a...

"last minute" i mean on the liveaboard itself, suit up and gear up right at the end as opposed to suiting up then hanging around a bit.

I dont think it'll be THAT bad - im still wearing a weezle extreme and its 40 degrees+ here. Yes its hot on land (walk to bells from blue hole is horrible) but its ok if you pace yourself and perfectly comfortable in the water.

One option might be to bring the drysuit, but perhaps check with the liveaboard about renting a wetsuit.....? Maybe not the preferred option, but might alleviate potential luggage space/weight issues and allow you to switch suits.

I can understand your buddy's interest in practicing with the drysuit...at the same time you want to enjoy your holiday. For me a big part of the enjoyment of diving in Egypt comes from NOT HAVING TO WEAR A DRYSUIT :)

Also, anyone with 2 dives in a drysuit can't be completely comfortable with it = that's what Stoney and Vobster are for. Enjoy the holiday...have him practice when he gets home.

My £0.02

Back
Top Bottom