advice on wrist computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowhunt69

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I kind a new the scuba world but fell in love with it. I would like to buy a wrist computer and looking for advice on which one to buy. I would like to have a viewing screen that a 60 year old can see, multi tank, air tank pressure and thing else you would recomend-Thank you ahead of time

Well, you're talking about a hoseless air-integrated computer, so it won't be cheap!

I don't use AI, so I can't help much.

Personally, I like keeping track of my back gas levels with an analog SPG. My wrist computer only tracks nitrogen and oxygen exposure. It's a simple, cost-effective setup that doesn't suffer from problems with syncing a wireless transmitter/receiver. That's just my personal preference, though.

The nice thing about wrist computers is that you can bring them up close to your face to make reading them easier. :) I suppose this maneuver might be problematic for someone with presbyopia.

For large numbers, the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and Sherwood Wisdom are very easy to read. One of my older dive buddies loves his Pro Plus 2 for this reason. Heck! I can read the thing when I'm 10 feet away from him, depending on the vis. Unfortunately, both of these computers are air-integrated and connected to a hosed console (not wrist-mount).

An instructor friend of mine raves about his Uwatec Galileo Sol. It's pricey ($1500-$2000), but easy to read. I believe it has all of the functions that you'd be interested in. He took advantage of a professional discount on his (Keyman), so the whole price-to-value ratio might not be so attractive to you.

If money is not a limiting factor, there are some expensive computers on the market that are very legible. Some have the hoseless, air-integration capability that you mentioned. I have read about the Uemis Zurich. It has a nifty solar-power panel on it in addition to a color display. It also has a wireless transmitter option. Retail price is approx. $1600. I have seen the Liquivision X1 in action. It has a beautiful OLED display on it -- probably the easiest to read screen I've ever seen on a dive computer. The X1 features an open software platform that allows the diver to select his preferred algorithm, but does not work with a wireless gas transmitter. The X1 goes for approx. $1750. Honestly, these computers are so expensive that I wouldn't recommend them to a novice diver.

Perhaps someone can give you a recommendation on one of the hoseless air-integrated wrist computers on the market (Suunto D9, Suunto Vytec, Aeris T3, Aeris Epic, Oceanic VT3, etc.). I have no experience with these units. I've never spent more than $150 on a dive computer. :D

Last edited:
I kind a new the scuba world but fell in love with it. I would like to buy a wrist computer and looking for advice on which one to buy. I would like to have a viewing screen that a 60 year old can see, multi tank, air tank pressure and thing else you would recomend-Thank you ahead of time
What is your budget ?

I love the Liquivision for its screen. I have old eyes, and I can read it without bifocals, and without having to fiddle around with backlighting or angling my dive light just right. I was also impressed with the Uemis when I saw it earlier today in the dive shop. The coolest thing about it is the community dive log function -- you can look up dive sites, get GPS coordinates, profiles, look at photos, and you can add your own input to what's there. The Uemis has wireless air integration, which I don't and wouldn't use, but you indicated you wanted. But it is expensive, as is the Liquivision, and the Uemis is not a full trimix computer, as the Liquivision is. Not that a new diver needs that!

How about the Oceanic Pro Plus 2

Oceanic Pro Plus 2, Air/Nitrox, Air Integrated Computer, with Compass & Quick Disconnect

It's known for easy to read display and highly regarded.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom