Costa Sol, Spain - Nerja or Malaga?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csky217

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello divers!

I'm going to be in Spain in about 2 weeks and will finish the trip with a few days in the Costa Sol. Naturally, I'd like to do a little diving. I was planning to stay in Nerja because it looks nice. It looks there is one dive shop in Nerja (Buceo Costa Nerja) and one in Malaga (Simply Diving) which is about 1 hour away. Some previous posts mentioned Scuba Nerja, for which I can't find a website. So maybe they're out of business?

If anyone is familiar with the area and can offer any thoughts or advice:

- Any difference between the dive shops in what kind of experiences they provide?
- Should I stay in Malaga instead for a couple of days?
- What are the best sites to dive (is it worth the time and money to go out to gibraltar or Tarifa)?

Thanks for any insights, scubaboarders!

Hi,
Just an outside chance,did you go diving with Simply Diving ?
If so was it on a boat dive from Tarifa?
Just read your post.
Reason for me asking,couple of guys who were on this trip with me were from your part of the world.
Duncan

Hi there
If you come down to nerja the best place to dive is at la Herradura 15 mins from nerja you can dive with (buceo costa Nerja ) or drive down to Marinas Del Este to buceo la Herradura. If you dive with buceo costa nerja they usually limit the dives to a dive site called cantarriajan. max 18metres. if you go to buceo la herradura they usually go to a dive site called punta de la mona .( approx 12MSW to 40 MSW where you have a chance to see moon fish, lobster, grouper and some nice corals.
good luck
paul

hi everyone,

la Herradura is a nice place to dive, but only once or twice. If you are looking for some really interesting dives, you have to go towards Malaga/Marbella/Estepona and of course Tarifa.

Jay

La Herradura is good.It's a cleaning station for sunfish (mola mola)although I've never been lucky enough to see one.
Have a great time.

Thanks to all who offered advice! Sorry for the late update.

I ended up staying in Nerja and diving with Buceo Costa Nerja - two shore dives on one day and one boat dive on a second day. They were very patient with my essentially nonexistent Spanish, and I had a good time. I think I enjoyed the shore dives more as the group was quite small, probably since it was a weekday.

Duncan, I really hope to get a chance to dive with Simply Diving someday. I would have loved to go to Tarifa or Gibraltar with you. Everyone from SD was very nice over the phone, but the logistics didn't work out very well since I was in Nerja, and I didn't have a car. There was this great plan where we could have met them at some sort of traffic circle, but absolutely no one I met in Nerja could figure out where that was.

saw your post a litle late
I was there a few years ago
good to see it didnt change Bernabe and his staf is very nice and patient

on there site I saw Angel is stil there
he was just starting when we were there

we were not so lucky because the wether was very bad that time
and visebillety max 5 mtr

I am also about to take a trip to Spain. However I will be on the south western side of the country. Does anyone know if there is any decent diving near Cadiz, and as far south as Gibraltar? Thanks! ~Whitney

Hi,
I have used "Yellowsub" many times whilst instructing with Simply Diving.
Yellowsub are right on the dock side of the port of Tarifa.
Hard bottomed boats.
Safe crew
Great diving,wrecks and reefs.
Plenty of sea life.
I dont know of anywhere else close to Cadiz.
We drive from the Costa Del Sol down to Tarifa and its worth the time taken.
Duncan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom