Dive computer redundancy? Anyone used this depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How many of you dive redundant setups? I would assume most.
Just picked up my first wireless computer, an Aeris Elite T3. I have a little Mares SPG clipped onto my BC, a wrist watch as a stopwatch/bottom timer and I'm about to order a wrist mounted depth gauge. Good to have in case of computer failure? Then of course a compass on the other arm. Can't wait to see how ridiculous I look with 2 items on each wrist haha How do you guys wear your setups?

I figure computer and depth gauge on wrist opposite BC inflator (right), and the compass and wrist watch on the left side.

Aeris Wrist Depth Gauge reviews and discounts, Aeris (comes to $61 shipped)

Anybody own one of these? Face/layout pretty nice? Can't really justify spending $90 on the Oceanic or Sherwood if this one is fine.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SWDWG.html (free shipping/no tax)

I wear one dive computer on my right wrist, and a compass on my left wrist. I carry one analog SPG that's gets clipped off to my left waist D-ring.

For local diving, none of the divers in my circle of dive friends use redundant computers or have multiple SPGs. We're all just recreational divers, though. If my dive computer died during a dive, I'd probably just show the malfunctioning computer to my buddy and then stick close to him/her for the rest of the dive. We'd probably turn the dive earlier than usual, making the dive more conservative than initially planned. Once out of the water, I'd probably opt out of any subsequent diving for the rest of the day.

If my analog SPG stopped working during a dive, I'd show the gauge to my buddy and we'd abort the dive.

I'll dive with two dive computers when I'm on a live-aboard, on a dive vacation, or any time I intend to do multi-day repetitive diving.

The Aeris depth gauge looks fine. I don't have any experience with that particular product, though.

Wrist computer, with "old fashioned" dive watch as backup. Analog SPG. Dive tables in thigh pocket.

That is more than enough redundancy for my current recreational dives, and MORE redundancy than I had when doing deco dives (in the 70's, only a wrist watch and analog depth gauge, spg, deco schedule was memorized).

Best wishes.

Thanks for the information.

I figure I could go off of my buddy's computer for depth if my computer were to fail, but as mentioned, in the case of multiple dives I would be able to calculate on tables what nitrogen level I'm at using the max-depth needle on the analog gauge, and my bottom timer stopwatch. Then the SPG for obvious reasons.

Sound like overkill or should I go ahead and just get the depth gauge since mine and my buddy's depth could vary quite a bit.

Why not just get 2 computers? You can get a wrist mounted bare bones nitrox capable one for $200 or less with a little searching. Then you only have two things strapped to your arms (I guess 3 with a compass), and you are not dependent on your buddy for your dive info.

Why not just get 2 computers? You can get a wrist mounted bare bones nitrox capable one for $200 or less with a little searching. Then you only have two things strapped to your arms (I guess 3 with a compass), and you are not dependent on your buddy for your dive info.

I may consider doing that. I have a Veo 100 in a console but I already told a friend I'd sell it to him. I'll see what else I can find in wrist mount and the SPG can accompany that.

I am getting into tech diving an one of the things on my list is a digital depth gauge or second computer that will run in gauge mode. For recreational diving I did buy a citizen watch with a depth gauge on it, but it is a bit flakey sometimes in salt water. I like the idea of a device specifically designed to do what I need.

Newer divers might think that having two dive computers and two SPGs makes diving safer. Two is better than one, right? It's relatively easy to buy a new piece of gear and rationalize the purchase in the name of safety. The reality of the situation is that as long as you have one reliable computer (or a timing device + depth gauge + tables) and one good-quality analog SPG...and maintain them properly (battery changes at appropriate intervals, post-dive rinsing in fresh water, regular cleaning/replacement of o-rings on the SPG HP spool)...that's probably all you really need for recreational dives done with a buddy. Bear in mind that circumstances are different for solo and technical divers.

Rather than doubling up on dive computers and SPGs, I'd argue that recreational divers can dive more safely by conducting dives within their training/experience level, following good buddy practices, diving conservatively with respect to NDLs and oxygen exposure (nitrox), extending surface intervals when possible, practicing your basic OW skills, remaining well-hydrated, exercising good judgment in/around the water, and staying in good physical condition.

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Just remember that the most important piece of safety gear is the stuff between a diver's ears. :) It's a cliché, but it's true.

Have fun out there!

That IS a very good point and will factor it in. :)

Safety isn't necessarily the major concern due to the fact that if my computer were to fail, we will immediately ascend anyways, using my buddy's instruments.

However, as mentioned above, I intend on a dive trip to Cozumel here in a few months. God forbid my computer did have an issue, using the depth gauge and timer I can use tables to figure out where I am for a repetitive dive, or better yet, forget the depth gauge and just get a Veo 100 wrist mount for $140 so it doesn't ruin an expensive day of diving.

I understand though that for most recreational diving these items aren't really required.

I have 3 computes, so I can wear a 2nd computer at no cost, yet I seldom do. Finishing the dive without a computer due to failure is no big deal if you dive right and stay within NDL, solo or buddy diving.

I really only think of one situation where I wold choose to, that being a dive trip with multiple dives per day where a loss of computer would be expensive in terms of lost or reduced diving later the same day.

The the situation, diving beyond NDL requires more training, gear and skill beyond tossing more gear on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom