The cost of excellence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lmurtha1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to diving with no tech experience but with the help of Kathy and other DIR divers, Ive chosen the path of diving excellence. My first rig is a DIR setup with all the required equipment etc.. Now I know that nothing constitutes practice and logging some dives, but here is my question to you all:

Once I get some quality dives under my belt, would it be beneficial to me to fly down a GUE instructor for some private instruction before i would take the fundies, or would it be better to just take the GUE fundies with my own experience? Or would would you suggest I work with someone local. I just dont want to develop any possible bad habits early. I really want to become a proficient and knowledgeable techy, and I want to learn from some of the best. I think that going into the class with some quality instruction would be awesome.

Also, roughly what would something like this cost?

Thanks

Lydon

Lydon,

First off let me congratulate you on seeking further education and improvement of your diving skills beyond the standard curricula. I feel that standard diver training is rather limited in the breadth of usable knowledge and skills . Atta boy.

That being said, what's the rush? It takes time, even with amazing mentorship, to really develop the fine skills required for technical diving. Also, it kinda ruins the fun when every dive is a training dive. You won't have many dive buddies if you are always in training.

As far as mentorship, I'm sure most instructors would be more than happy to help you out, the GUE guys especially seem keen to mentor others, and they are super good at it. You could get further help by buddying up with DIR divers in your area and diving with them. But stay in the rec limits, there's a lot to see here. It takes most folks a long time to get truly bored with rec diving.

I would most definitely suggest taking a go at Fundies, it definitely can't hurt and with the plethora of GUE insturctors in FL you will have plenty of options. I wouldn't expect a first time pass, but you would be able to start practicing and diving in a manner that will pay off heaps in the future, preventing bad habits from becoming ingrained. But technical training is a long way off, take some time to enjoy the recreational range, it offers plenty of fun and experience to be had.

Peace,
Greg

Hey guys,

I'm new to diving with no tech experience but with the help of Kathy and other DIR divers, Ive chosen the path of diving excellence. My first rig is a DIR setup with all the required equipment etc.. Now I know that nothing constitutes practice and logging some dives, but here is my question to you all:

Once I get some quality dives under my belt, would it be beneficial to me to fly down a GUE instructor for some private instruction before i would take the fundies, or would it be better to just take the GUE fundies with my own experience? Or would would you suggest I work with someone local. I just dont want to develop any possible bad habits early. I really want to become a proficient and knowledgeable techy, and I want to learn from some of the best. I think that going into the class with some quality instruction would be awesome.

Thanks

Lydon
Dean Marshall is right near you I think.
GUE Instructor résumé | Global Underwater Explorers

I would post on the GUE forums explaining your goals, and try to find some divers who are where you want to to be, and ask them to do some experience dives with you. You'll find most GUE/DIR divers are more than happy to mentor divers to prepare them for whatever their goals may be.

Awesome. This is what I'm looking for, someone to dive with that is on the same page. This will definitely help me develop into a better diver.

thank you

Lydon,

I'd suggest diving with some local divers that dive within the framework of DIR: teamwork, situational and buddy awareness, and solid dive skills.

This local group can help you get to where you want to be: SFL-DIR : SFL-DIR

thanks guys, Im going too look into that forum and see what I can find. You would be surprised how hard it is to find someone who wants to dive with you that

a. wants to mentor a new diver without wanting a bucket of moola (understandable but you would be surprised how people try too take advantage of a pro athlete)
b. Dives DIR
c. Is not strictly recreational.

Everyone I talk to down here doesn't even know what a 7' hose is, and many don't even have an octo but use their inflator. Then I explain my bp/w setup and they think aliens have landed.. Then i bring up dive tables, planning, deco, mixed gases and then they are lost. It seems so many people are just into shallow reef dives and strictly rely on their computers and transmitters to do everything. Dont get me wrong, there are that do, but they are working at the dive shop...

Im not saying I want to go deep, I don't until Ive received proper and educational training. But who wants to go out and practice gas switching at 60' on a nice day? I do but many don't. I enjoy the reefs like none other, but nothing excites me more than the idea of a deep dive with strict calculations and planning. Its like game day baby!

If you are concerned with taking Fundamentals, GUE also offers a Primer class which can help get your ready to take the course. I would speak to your potential Fundamentals instructor about this option, and they can discuss with you whether it would or would not be appropriate to first take a Primer class. Good luck and have fun with it all!

One of the things I love about the DIR community is the pervasive willingness to mentor. If you can find DIR divers near you, I can almost guarantee you that they will be willing to go diving with you and help you figure things out. You also have a state full of GUE instructors, so I shouldn't think you would need to fly anyone anywhere to take the classes you might want to take. And, if you end up with a provisional rating, it should be easy for you to convert it to a pass when you are ready.

So I'd use the link provided, and I'd look at the GUE website for SoFl instructors (I think there are at least two) and I'd contact them and ask them what they think the best progression is. But get a class of some sort in soon; you won't believe how much the things you learn in the Primer or Fundies will impact all of your diving for the better.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Lydon

Lydon, you have been receiving outstanding advice. You most defiantly to not want to show up for fundies class without having been exposed to all but a few of the skills (trickier fin kicks) including static weighting refinement, the ability to hover and a good grasp of S and valve drills. This foundation will make make for a much more enjoyable and rewarding class. I took fundies at High Springs last December with frustrating results having accomplished little of the above before class & ignoring the repeated good advise from TSandM to have at 25 dives in your gear configuration before class start.

There is much conflicting advice out there on this issue. After airing the experiences of my class I received numerous PM's from GUE grads confirming the above approach if you wish to utilize a doubles setup in class. Accomplishing the class in a singles configuration is a whole different matter. Once again, the divers in the know show up with a solid foundation of skills which makes for a much more enjoyable weekend. I am currently receiving mentoring (lessons) from a local GUE instructor to sharpen up for my tec pass check out dives. You are very much welcome to join us. Please PM if interested. Scott

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom