New Mask Help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaZoozle

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a newer scuba diver and getting used to alot of stuff. I recently got a new mantis mask and i was told by a friend about putting toothpaste on the mask to do something, but i dont know what that something is. Is there something like it?(like especially made for doing what the toothpaste does) I think he said it keeps it from fogging up or something. Please help.

Toothpaste is a good way to clean the lenses and reduce fogging. Supposedly there is a thin film on the lens from when the skirt is attached. I use Comet and an old toothbrush to clean mine. I have seen warnings on prescription lenses, though, that toothpaste would scratch the lens.

Toothpaste the first go round- then there's mask defogger and spit for subsequent use.

I have used Colgate on a number of masks. It will frequently take more than one application. After a number of gentle scrubbings I use a defogger or spit to keep the fogging down. No harsh abrasives!!!!

After the newness has worn off a little, you might try getting a lighter and burning the inside of the glass. The coating from manufacturing will turn black. Then scrub the black soot off with toothpaste (not gel) and it will significantly reduce the fogging.

You can also get a small bottle of baby shampoo for use as defog. It's 50 or 60 cents in the travel size section of the drug store. Just refill from a larger bottle as needed. You're probably looking at 5 bucks for a lifetime supply. That's significantly cheaper than 5 or 6 bucks for a tiny bottle of specialty dive soap. Spit also works and it's free.

There's an excellent write-up on this by SB member spectrum, see his "scuba knowtes" at SCUBA Knowtes, Home , see the selection "Your Dive Mask" halfway down the second column. The other notes are worth reading, too.

Two pieces of advice I would add/change there is:

1) Instead of just a bowl of cold water, put the rinsed mask in a bowl of actual icewater (with ice) in the fridge for 5 minutes, then wipe inside and out with a clean towel and see if it fogs.

2) The other would be to do one side of the mask completely before doing the other. This lets you start to see the fog/no-fog effect dramatically as you start to get portions of the mask clean, and provides real information on your cleaning progress.

Don't use tooth paste. there is professional defogger available

I believe that this poster is confusing the initial cleaning of your new mask with the defogging process before each dive (or dive day).

Lots of us use toothpaste on our new masks to clean off the film left by the manufacturing process. (Though there are commercial mask cleaning stuff available, I don't know of anyone who has used any.) You can also use a flame to burn that film off.

Then, you can use (a) commercial defogger, (b) baby shampoo (diluted or not) or (c) saliva before your actual dives.

Burning, ice water... holy cow it's just mask for gawd's sake.

Just scrub with toothpaste, apply spit or baby shampoo b4 the dive & repeat till desired results appear.

Don't use tooth paste. there is professional defogger available

Why NOT USE Tooth paste ???

I use tooth paste on all new masks. I usually clean with tooth paste about 2-3 times with old tooth brush and fingers rubbing and scrubbing the glass inside. Then use spit and quick rinse predive and no fog issues.
You can also use babyshapoo and quick rinse predive if you do not like to spit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom