Budget accomodation in Hurghada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black_sea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Flying out from Sweden May 31-june 7, anyone got some budget roughing it tips?
So far found a couple of hotels a bit above usd 100 for the week,
would love to maybe camp, stay in someone's backyard or on boat instead!

EDITED-
I looked online and this sure aint the US or Europe. Camping discouraged, and no bed-and-breakfasts.
Bought the bullet and booked a cheap hotel online. Keep in mind that not all hotels are listed online as they dont embrace online booking, not all of the budget ones at least.

Last edited:

Zak Royal Wing Zak Royal Wings next to what used to be Papas Bar and Moon Valley Moon Valley Horghada a few hundred meters south from Roma Hotel. They are both good and not too expensive. My mates always stay there when they come over.

Have you really bought a flight ticket without accommodation to Egypt without looking into this first? Camping? Someone's back yard? A boat? Hör av dig till mig om du behöver hjälp...

People think that they can get a better price if they go directly to the hotel or the liveaboard boat than if they book through an agent. I get the same questions over and over again. Here is the thing:
Dive Operators and Hotels have their list prices and then they give discounted price to agents who then take a price slightly below the list price. This way the agent make some money and the Dive Operator/Hotel get business. There is not a Hotel or Dive Operator on the planet that will go lower in price than their agents because that would mean that they would have no agents the next day. It's not like the agent buy space from the hotel/operator and then ad on top of that. How would they sell anything then? Some people also think they can get a lower price by walking in to the hotel reception than booking a package... How on earth would you be able to negotiate a better price than an agent who buys 1.000 rooms/year?

Anyways.
Maybe I should stop now...
Have a look on WELCOME TO AZIAB for more info

...a...

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.

I have camped while diving in Sweden, Thailand, Florida (couple nights on boats as well) and the Black Sea, among other places.

It is never a problem if you are a man that can handle himself, and a lot of times you are right on the beach.

From my research it appears that the middle east is a special case as it has a slightly different approach to foreigners and it might not be a good idea to camp - at least outside a designated camp area, which I could not find in Hurghada - guess they want you paying for a hotel.

As a man that has been through several war zones, I assure you just booking a ticket and going has worked just swell and provided excellent adventure, ( probably not recommended for the faint of heart ). The pre-packaged deals available did not suit my taste for the dates I have.

Samaka, have been reading your site all week and will mention it to the restaurants that you recommend when I go there- thank you for such a great and informative resource!

And of course you are right- a package is often the best way to go, especially live and dive packages.

Yea mate. I have travelled the same way in 38 countries and never had any problem but Egypt is a bit different than the rest of the world and "backpacking" is not as easy.

Thanks for the nice words about the website. Unfortunately I will be in Sweden when you are here so you have to have a beer for me in Viking Bar.

...a...

Gold Star to Asser for the translation! Indeed it means "Please contact me if you need help"

...a...
The gold star should go to Google Translate. Although it seems to be a nice language, Swedish is not currently on my priority list.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom