Easy Pacific diving for newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

I'm still new to all of this (at the moment I've got just over a dozen dives logged), but am looking to get out and get some more dives under my belt. I'm hoping to get away for a week or so in October/November somewhere in Oz or in the Pacific. I'm in Perth, and have done the dives around Rotto a few times, so looking to head somewhere a little more...Exotic. But somewhere that's going to be not too challenging for someone with limited experience. Does anybody have any recommendations? I already have plans to dive the Coral Sea at some point next year, but want to get a few more dives in before I try that (I originally had delusions of grandeur about diving the Galapagos and Cocos Island, but after reading some posts in these forums, I think I might be putting that off until I'm A LOT more experienced).

Appreciate any suggestions!

Depending on your budget and how far you want to go, I'd sure recommend the Lembeh Straits. It's muck diving, with no current and a visible bottom, and relatively shallow depths, but the variety of critters you can see there is absolutely mind-blowing.

If you are willing to consider dives within Australia, try Byron Bay. I went there with about 40 dives, and I had a ball. It has color, clear water, and everything from nurse sharks and bull rays to Spanish dancers, and huge schools of fish. It was a fantastic trip . . . wish I could get back there.

How about Fiji? I was relatively inexperienced (ha!--still am) and enjoyed the ease of diving there. Of course, I can't speak for all of the dive sites around Fiji but the ones we dove out of Beqa.

In Oz, what about the obvious? Cairns, Port Douglas, etc. Those were my very first dives after getting certified in the murky waters of California, and it was a dream come true.

How about Fiji? I was relatively inexperienced (ha!--still am) and enjoyed the ease of diving there. Of course, I can't speak for all of the dive sites around Fiji but the ones we dove out of Beqa.

In Oz, what about the obvious? Cairns, Port Douglas, etc. Those were my very first dives after getting certified in the murky waters of California, and it was a dream come true.

Cairns/Port Douglas is the "Coral Sea" trip I was referring to being planned for a little later on :) Parents live there actually, so I expect I'll be visiting them more often now I'm qualified :D

Will check out some info on Fiji and Lembeh Straits though. Didn't want to totally blow the budget on this trip, but will see what I can come up with!

I tend to agree with TSandM, Indoneasia is pretty close to Perth making it an affordable trip especially if you only have one week.

Have a look at diving in Sulawesi to give you an idea of what is on offer.

The water should be a bit warmer than winter dives at Rotto.

Thanks for the advice. I have "around" a week, but practically, I could stretch that out to 2 if needs be. I do think Indonesia would maybe be the best bet though. Easier access for flights :)

This Dive The World website you link to, they're competitive and reliable for arrangements?

Another vote for muck diving in the Lembeh Straits of North Sulawesi! We stayed and dove with NAD Lembeh which was great value. The staff is terrific and if you're into underwater photography they are a tremendous help for the budding hack like me!

Another vote for muck diving in the Lembeh Straits of North Sulawesi! We stayed and dove with NAD Lembeh which was great value. The staff is terrific and if you're into underwater photography they are a tremendous help for the budding hack like me!

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at right now actually. My main concern is that I'll be going alone. How easy is it to just randomly find a buddy at a resort like that? Obviously for the boat dives it's fine, you'd go as a group with the DM and kind of buddy up as well. But how about for the "unguided" diving on the house reef separate to that? This will be my first "diving holiday", so unsure how that kind of thing works...

Also, just for my own curiosity...Much shark life there? I really really want to see sharks :D

If its sharks you want to see then you cant beat Beqa Lagoon resort in Fiji and the Beqa Tiger Shark dive! Search for Saspotato's review of it - we just got back and loved it!

Anywhere in Indonesia will be terrific. Finding a dive partner won't be a problem. If nothing else, you'll dive with the guide. Have a great time where ever you go.

Back
Top Bottom