Malfunctioning Manta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last week I went diving in Bunaken, Sulawesi. I took my Manta.

But on the 2nd Dive on the Sunday, while telling my I still had about 20mins of no-deco time left, my Manta announced that my Nitrogen level was high and that I should go up. I must have been at about 70ft ish.

Confused, I obeyed it. I ascended about 20ft and it returned to it's normal status and showed no signs of malfunction or violations or anything.

However, when I tried to dive that afternoon, it refused to go into dive mode, offering me only the gauge mode. I had to abort the dive.

The next day (ie: 21 hours after my last dive), it still wouldn't go into the normal dive mode, sticking only to gauge mode. After speaking to the bemused staff, they suggested I rent a Suunto Gekko for morning. So i did 2 happy dives, I took the Manta along (still in its gauge mode) - that was Monday. It also seemed to think I had been in the water for 17 hours straight.

Yesterday (Tuesday) it was STILL on Gauge mode only. Only today (Wednesday) did it return to normal, but strangely it showed that this morning I had residual nitrogen left in my body, even though i last dove on Monday morning.

WEIRD?!?!? This caused me to abandon one of my precious dives in Bunaken - i am about ready to throw it in the bin and buy a Suunto Gekko to replace it.

Any thoughts?

I use a Manta as well, haven't had this problem, but it would be nice if Aeris answered your question.

Yeah, tell me ab out it... So much for the 'legendary' customer service... I filled in the support question form on their website, no reply either.

Still waiting. No reply for customer service, or here... I feel this is the last time I will buy Aeris or Oceanic.

Seems they only care as long as you pay, then they are not interested in maintaining the relationship.

My next computer will be a Suunto or a Mares.

If it is like my Oceanic, it resets to a EAN level of 50% and violates around the 60ft level. Don't know if this helps but my computer acted up a few weeks ago only to find out it was my fault! Good luck with problem!

I was on air, not nitrox. I am aware of that 50% feature. But it wasn't that.

Had a similar problem with a Manta. Don't remember the exact details, but essentially the computer was not resetting counters on SI. Two separate times it thought I was on my sixth dive of a day when in fact it was the first dive of the second day after a 14 hour SI. Went into guage mode at 20 feet or so on the way down and wouldn't reset without removing the battery. Returned it and got an Aladin - no issues.

Can't think of any dive profile that would cause any computer to go into guage mode at 20 feet after a 14 hour SI - so back it went.

WOW... no response! If this happens here and other posts, perhaps their board should be pulled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom