thistlegorm tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello all

im going to the thistlegorm tommorrow morning the boat leaves at 5 30, do any of u have any advice for diving it or any interesting things to watch out for??

thanks guys

yeah they said this to me already,and im thinking of doing the course on the way to the site,but it may not be possible at this stage to organise the tanks,i think the boat is already full with the tanks we are supposed to use, they told me there are other divers on 28% as well so i will not be the only one not on full nitrox,if there are nitrox tanks available i will see if its possible

You are very fortunate. Thistelgorm is extremely high on my 'to do' list, but it is pretty hard to get to from where I live.

yeah rhoneman ive wanted to dive it since i heard about it and 3 years later im getting the chance haha so lucky,a little bit anxious about it too butterflies are starting to build up

I hope your boat has the 3D computer images of the ship for you to review ahead of time. Having that in the briefing made all the difference to my experience of the ship.

Look for the ordnance that is still there - you can read the dates on the backs of the shells. Sitting alongside the worst damaged portion (amidships) is at least one tank lying on its roof -- I recognized it because it still had the tracks going around the axles. I believe there is a locomotive, as well.

There can be quite a bit of current on this wreck, so look for good places to hide from it, using the ship's structure.

The propellers make a great place for a photo op.

Have fun -- this was the best wreck dive I have ever done, by far.

hi all

im back safe and sound from the thistlegorm,i have to say it is an amazing place to go,it was my first wreck dive so was a bit nervous and with all the talk ive heard i was expecting face ripping current and to be blown off into the blue on my own,we were lucky with the current but unlucky with the viz,the first dive was 5 metres viz and the 2nd 10 to 15 metres

it was crazy waves this morning at the site and it took almost an hour for our boat to be hooked in for some reason,then going down the line was mad because everyone seemed to bunch at 5 metres all at the same time it was all very quick moving but as soon as i settled my self and started to decend the current went away

we were tied onto the front of the wreck right at the entrances to the holds were the bombs hit, i was really surprised seeing it all in the flesh because ive been watching videos of it for so long, we finned along past what looked like trains or coal bunkers then drifting along over the side of the deck and looking down the side, its massive isint it, then around to the bow to look at the winch,then i got my first look in side, i think i seen a motorbike wheel in the room on the left when u look towards the front of the ship,its in the doors directly below the big winch,i could be wrong though because i only looked for a second,then we headed on towards the back, we seen a funny looking white ray wiggling along the deck, then i swan through the walk way with the rail to the side,i watched a video on youtube of a guy swimming through this same place and he bobbed his head on something that was hanging there but the thing he hit is gone and i still managed to hit the tank on it haha idiot,then on to the bombed area as soon as i went out over it the current caught me and i had to fin like crazy, my guide pointed out the tank u mention tsandm but i was in too much of a hurry to get out of the current to enjoy it i went straight across to the deck thats at an angle for cover and had a little look across,then we dropped down a bit and i think we were heading towards the back of the ship and the propellers but my buddy hit 80 bar and the guide turned the dived i had 110 but what can ya do,an excellent dive quite short at 37 minutes but seen loads and was better prepared for my 2nd dive then,max depth 28 meters

the 2nd dive was the best dive of the 2 best dives of my life,going inside the wreck was deadly,a little bit daunting at first but after 2 or 3 minutes inside i relaxed and got used to being inside something while at depth,,25 metres and into the lower decks i think,the motorbikes were all lined up left to right packed in tight, then i seen the first trucks,they kinda look like the beverly hillbilly trucks,very funny looking but i suppose the mask is making them look different to they actually are, i had perfect trim and was surprised at how easy it is to move around i was expecting tight little spaces, were wound our way around the holds and up a level by a messey open area, i flashed my light into the dark and seen a million silver fishes and some solider fish then up i went, i think we were in the captains area because there was a wash basin on the floor but i didnt see the bath so maybe i was somewhere else, we were nearly back to the ropes when my ndl was 2 minutes i acended a few metres and headed over to the line, my computer showed 8 min at 3 metres by the time i got up it was at six and we all done our deco on the line one by one finishing and heading to the boat

this was one of the most amazing things i have ever done,im very happy to have finally got the chance and im proud of my self,i think my diving is improving every day and im on number 49 now thanks for the advice guys ill be diving nitrox the next time im there defo, more time would have been nice

The first time I dived the 'Gorm in 2004 was the day I decided to become an instructor. I guide there regularly now and it has not lost its magic, although there are waaaaay too many people there these days.

As TsandM rightly points out - there are tanks (Bren Mk II carriers) and two are easily recognisable with the caterpillar tracks. The locomotives were blown clear of the wreck - imagine, 126 tonnes of locomotive flying through the air! - and with good viz they are visible without having to leave the wreck itself. The water tender and coal wagons remain on the deck.

Current can be manic and it can go from dead calm to howling in a matter of 30 minutes but there are lots of places to hide. The odd wiggly ray you saw was probably a torpedo ray - which always make me laugh because they can't really see where they are going and keep bumping into things! Also cool to See Moray Eels sitting in the driver's seat of the trucks sometimes :D

Glad you enjoyed it mate - and yes - the inside dive remains for me one of the best dives I ever did in my life ever. Now I work here - it still is! :D

Cheers

C.

Thistlegorm is lovely if its not packed. Provided divers listen to the brief and the dive is decent in how he handles the route taking into account the currents its great.

By the way, if anyone finds an SL6 torch, halycon cold water spool, a beaver slate or some bolt snaps there they're all mine, all lost in the last 2 months guiding it!

Last few times there's been a very large giant moray in the captains cabin too.

The 5m thing on the way back up annoys me, you can do a stop anywhere from 3-6m depth so why do 20 people all try to use the same 5cm of line at that depth!

Its worth getting to work at 5am just to dive it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom