La Jolla Children's Pool - Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all!

I know this is a contentious issue, and I don't want this to turn into any kind of crazy name-calling fight.

I am, however, interested in what you think about the issue of the seals at the Children's Pool in La Jolla. This has been in the local news quite a bit and there are strong feelings on all sides.

Please, feel free to add your thoughts.

DM Jim

To start this off, here is my own opinion:

My own, personal feelings (from DM Jim) - are that we should leave the seals in peace and keep people from utilizing this beach. As soon as the rope was taken down at the end of pupping season, people took their children down to the beach and were actually placing their kids on or near the seals - as well as flushing (with or without intent) seals from the beach. Both of these actions are illegal as the seals are Federally protected (yet there is no enforcement). I would really hate to see a person harmed by a seal acting defensively or a seal harmed by the thoughtless actions of one of the people.

Let the seals be, open the beach to people, and enforce harassment laws for a couple of the most extreme cases to discourage idiots?

Rope or no rope, I don't care much - I wouldn't go bathing there but it's convenient to have some kind of access to the water. Even 3 ft wide on the right side is plenty enough for divers, snorkelers and other body surfers.

Totally agree.

As long as access is legal there, divers should have every right to use the area to the right for entries/exists. "Inconvenience" for the seals is extremely minimal.

Let the seals be, open the beach to people, and enforce harassment laws for a couple of the most extreme cases to discourage idiots?

Rope or no rope, I don't care much - I wouldn't go bathing there but it's convenient to have some kind of access to the water. Even 3 ft wide on the right side is plenty enough for divers, snorkelers and other body surfers.

Totally agree.

As long as access is legal there, divers should have every right to use the area to the right for entries/exists. "Inconvenience" for the seals is extremely minimal.

I agree as well with this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom