http://www.diveheart.org/

Gobies in the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maximum Overdive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently went on a dive vacation to Fantacy Island Beach Resort and while I was there the dive masters would spear the lion fish as they are devastating the reefs in the area. In Canada we are not allowed to spear any fish however we share a similar problem in that the goby is devastating our game fish. I wonder is there a way that divers could get approval to spear the goby while on a dive as the ministry tells you that if you catch a goby you're to destroy it and not return the carcass to the lake. I feel that this would help clean up the lakes faster and promote further game fish repopulation. Does anyone know what steps to take in getting this approval and do you think this is a good idea or not?:confused:

In Canada we are not allowed to spear any fish however we share a similar problem in that the goby is devastating our game fish. I wonder is there a way that divers could get approval to spear the goby while on a dive as the ministry tells you that if you catch a goby you're to destroy it and not return the carcass to the lake. I feel that this would help clean up the lakes faster and promote further game fish repopulation.

You can't unscramble an egg.

The gobies are here and even if every diver speared a half dozen on every dive that still wouldn't make a dent in the population because the fish are everywhere and divers aren't.

I'd just ignore them and wait until something decides they taste good, then things will rebalanced again.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom