Cave Course w/ a Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwfletcher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has any one taken a full cave course w/ a rebreather instead of doubles? If so, how was your experience?

pwfletcher once bubbled...
Has any one taken a full cave course w/ a rebreather instead of doubles? If so, how was your experience?

I know a guy that took cavern and Intro on OC then finished his full cave on CCR. That's all I know.

Cornfed

Getting in touch with Terrence Tysall. I don't know his website address but you can probably search the web. He is a cave instructor and he may be able to help you.

I realize this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one.

Any updates on this?

Can you you do Cavern - Full Cave all on CCR?

I'm really thinking about making the switch soon, and when I do, as most divers do, I will probably dive exclusively CCR.

I am also considering cave training at some point.

If I'm not going to be diving OC at all, I just don't see the point in doing any kind of specialty training on OC.

Obvioulsly I assume you would probably have to log more hours on CCR than you do for OC, before taking the classes, and NO, I'm planning on rushing any of this, just wondering if it can be done.

Grunz,

It certainly is possible. In fact, it is my intent to do so. Finding the instructor is a bit hard, however.

I have been waiting for Mike Fowler of SDS to clear his plate so he and I could get together. He signed Tom Mount's ticket after all, but with his work schedule we just can't.

Matt, at Protec Playa del Carmen, is another highly rated RB cave instructor, and it looks as if he will be doing my course.

Interestingly, he tells me that doing it on an RB in the caves in Mexico is difficult because they are mostly shallow. I guess we will see. Yes, you do need to have a good amount of experience on your unit first, before you do the course.

Thanks for the info.

BigJetDriver69:
Yes, you do need to have a good amount of experience on your unit first, before you do the course.
That was a given. I think it's a minimum of 100 hours, before you can do any tech training?

There are allot of CCR re breather diver's that dive the cave's here in FL . I do know one that dives, and trains people on the Inspiration, but I'm not sure if he does that in cave's, all though i see him all the time up at Ginnie Springs diving his Inspiration , cave diving. I'll ask around for you

Thanks.

It's actually probably a few years off at this point. I haven't even decided on what unit I want to go with yet, but my plan is definetely to do CCR first.

Most Rebreathers are lacking in redundancy by quite a bit compared to a normal caving rig, what rebreather would you be using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom