The dive day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyno Bill

Reaction score
I have been reading these threads for a month or so now and I am curious about what divers from other areas dive days are like. Here in Southern California I will buy a spot on a charter boat with a dive buddy or by myself and board the boat alone. The boats here range from 65 feet carrying up to 30 divers to 85 feet carrying maybe 35. There are usually 4 dives a day and the boats have full galleys and bunk rooms. The boats from the northern Channel Islands have hot tubs and some offer state rooms for a little extra cost. There are a number of Islands in the Channel Islands group allowing a varied list of destinations. The dive day is usually over at around 1-2 in the afternoon and the boats head back to port. So share your typical dive day and accomodations with the board if you will.
Bill....Dive Safe

Here on the North East Coast we buy spots on boats as well. Most boats leave @ 7 in the am. The boats vary in size, from 35 ft to 70 ft, depending on how far you're going. It's primarily wreck diving out here (Mid-Atlantic coast NY-MD). Viz is usually on the poor side, colder (currently thermoclines drop more than ten degrees). Lot of bug hunting (maine lobster), some spear fishing. We don't have the geology that Southern Cal does, no kelp. But if you love the challenge of hard core wreck diving, this is the place to be (as well as NC).
MOst boats do not serve food, you bring your own, no hot tubs or the like.
Other options are quarries, where you step in and dive the submerged objects and walls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom