Help finding a computer to fit my wants...:)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanLover91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi again!!

I just finished my Open Water Certification with my fiance, it was AMAZING! We can't wait to go out again, but unfortunately the cost of renting is going to add up REALLY fast when both of us are renting, so we decided to go ahead and start researching what we would want so we can save up. I personally thought I would want the Suunto D9, but alas it is really expensive and I think a little overkill for me.

What I like about it:
~Wrist Mounted (I hate having it on my BCD, it's too hard to find and look at...)
~Air Integrated (Hoseless)
~Compass
~Nitrox Compatible
~Temp, etc is displayed as well
~Can be worn as a normal everyday watch

With that being said, there is a lot more to this one than I really feel I need, so I was wondering if there are any lower end (price wise) that fit what I am looking for, preferably associated with Aqualung, because that's what is available around here.

Thanks so much for all the help I have already received and hope to continue to receive! :wink:

The dive community is awesome!! :D

Ha, I feel like a loser, I could have just gone straight to the Suunto website! :( It looks like the Vyper Air is what I am looking for...

I really like the D6 but it doesn't appear to be air integrated... :(

It's super exciting to be consider new gear, isn't it?!

Are you stuck on Suunto? If so, are you sure of your reasons why?

Sunnto is known to be ultra conservative; a common complaint is that it requires deco stops when others are within NDL (non-decompression limits).

The Oceanics are considered rather aggressive, according to heresay on this board.

The ScubaPro Uwatecs are middle of the road, as far as I know.

Is it worth the extra money to go air integrated? Are you going to trust your life to a computer's air integrated, or will you keep your mechanical SPG (submersible pressure gauge)?

Shopping around, reading all the threads on this board and in this particular thread, might widen your perspective.

Happy shopping! :)

As far as expense goes, have you considered E-bay or another site where you can find good, used equipment. I've bought a few things from the site and have been quite pleased. It seems people are always buying gear and then only using it 10 or 20 times before retiring it.

Also, I have to agree with Jax's line of questioning. I'm sure you are and your fiance are both rational adults, so if you're set on a certain type of gear so be it, but since you're new to diving, think a little about what you'll be doing in the future. Is a wrist mounted computer going to get in the way when you're going after bugs, or turning wrenches. And it's also a lot more likely to fall off your kit than a hose mounted console.

Do you have access to some buddies who may be willing to let you try out their gear next weekend at the beach? (with them present of course!)

Anyway, I'd do a little more in field comparing before I dove right into the catalog. In 20 plus years of diving I can tell you there are lots of times I wish I ahd just waited before buynig my 23rd light etc..

Hope it works out,

Cheers.

Just FYI- the D9 is air integrated and looks more like a wristwatch.

Personally, I would go a wrist puck, air and nitrox combined, NOT air integrated and never buy a computer from ebay but from an LDS so when it goes dirt up you have a face to talk to.

Either the Suunto D9 or the Aeris Epic/Oceanic Atomic 2 (same computer, different names). Or the Oceanic OC1 with dual algorithm.

These dive computers are about the sizes of big watches.

Thanks for all the responses!! :) I would multi-quote but I still can't figure it out...

I guess I just figured it out, sorry!!

Last edited:
It's super exciting to be consider new gear, isn't it?!

Are you stuck on Suunto? If so, are you sure of your reasons why?
I'm not really stuck on Suunto per say, it is the brand that my LDS carries and so if I had problems, wanting to exchange it, needed help, needed it fixed, etc I would have someone to go to, there is a Diver's Supply around here and the carry other brands as well, I have never actually been to their store though

Sunnto is known to be ultra conservative; a common complaint is that it requires deco stops when others are within NDL (non-decompression limits).

The Oceanics are considered rather aggressive, according to heresay on this board.

The ScubaPro Uwatecs are middle of the road, as far as I know.

Is it worth the extra money to go air integrated? Are you going to trust your life to a computer's air integrated, or will you keep your mechanical SPG (submersible pressure gauge)?
I have thought about this, but my reasoning is that I forget to look at my computer (which was air integrated but not hoseless) while on my dives, one of the main reasons I want it wrist mounted is because I will see it and it will remind me to look at it, and I often had a hard time finding it because it wasn't in my line of sight and I keep grabbing my low pressure inflater. I haven't read many complaints with the air integrated but it does make me consider having a regular SPG on me just in case. Somehow I'm not sure how this would work though. If I am thinking correctly, there are four connecting "places" on your first stage, one for second stage, one for alternate, one for low pressure inflater, and one for SPG/wireless (hoseless) transmitter, so would it still even be possible to have a SPG as well as a hoseless transmitter?

Shopping around, reading all the threads on this board and in this particular thread, might widen your perspective.

Happy shopping! :)

Thanks!!! :D

As far as expense goes, have you considered E-bay or another site where you can find good, used equipment. I've bought a few things from the site and have been quite pleased. It seems people are always buying gear and then only using it 10 or 20 times before retiring it.
I have thought about ebay, my only problem is, you never really know what you're going to get and if something goes wrong, it's not covered under warranty.

Also, I have to agree with Jax's line of questioning. I'm sure you are and your fiance are both rational adults, so if you're set on a certain type of gear so be it, but since you're new to diving, think a little about what you'll be doing in the future. Is a wrist mounted computer going to get in the way when you're going after bugs, or turning wrenches. And it's also a lot more likely to fall off your kit than a hose mounted console.

Do you have access to some buddies who may be willing to let you try out their gear next weekend at the beach? (with them present of course!)
I wish! When we were doing our training it was basically like private lessons because we were the only ones scheduled for those dates, but on our open water check out dives three AOW certified divers tagged along and were very nice and helpful, they let us try some of their gear we were interested in while we were there, but they didn't have wrist mounted or air integrated computers, except for our instructor, but he needed his for obvious reasons

Anyway, I'd do a little more in field comparing before I dove right into the catalog. In 20 plus years of diving I can tell you there are lots of times I wish I ahd just waited before buynig my 23rd light etc..

Hope it works out,

Cheers.

Thanks!!! :)

Just FYI- the D9 is air integrated and looks more like a wristwatch.
I know, that is why I was considering it at first, but like I said it seems like too much for me, I don't want to get into technical diving and that seems to be what that one is for. Thanks though! :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom