Best mask for Asian facial features? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Best mask for Asian facial features?

Sponsored Link

21isfun
May 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
due to less prominent cheek bones, many masks don't fit so well. Any suggestions from divers that have this dilemma or have asian dive buddies and know what they use?

Jorgy
May 23rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
You might consider the Tusa Visualator....

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : M-14 VISUALATOR [M-14] (http://www.tusa.com/shop/m14-visualator-p-16-c-15_16.html)

I believe that many stores offer a very similar design by other suppliers, I have seen both the larger and a smaller junior version in St Thomas..........

Hope this helps........M

diveprof
May 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
If a wider face, the new Oceanic Pioneer is great.

eelnoraa
May 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Asian usuallyhave flatter and wider face, myself included. I found a few masks fit me and my asian friend pretty well, they are Oceanic Shadow, Mare X-vision, and Cressi big eye. You may want to take a t look at them.

hongrace
May 23rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Gull Masks:
http://www.gull-msc.co.jp/lineup/mask/

http://www.gull-msc.co.jp/lineup/g-series/

SangP
May 24th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Asian usuallyhave flatter and wider face, myself included. I found a few masks fit me and my asian friend pretty well, they are Oceanic Shadow, Mare X-vision, and Cressi big eye. You may want to take a t look at them.

Agree n these do fit most Asian faces:

Tusa
Atomics
Oceanic Shadow
Cressi Matrix
Problue

Cheers,

SangP

SlvrDragon50
May 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I've use the Promate (something.. it's a frameless mask) which is the same as the Tilos excel which fit me just fine.

axyto
May 25th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I'm from the Philippines, been using Mares X-vision for couple of years already.. the best mask i ever wore.. Cressi big eyes and atomic frame less is also good fit for Asians.

scubajo007
May 25th, 2010, 05:02 AM
My GF is Filipina with the flat and wide face asian contours; she uses a Tusa Platina mask which she is happy with.

Louie
May 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I use a Tusa Pano Geo mask and it's the best one I've had (I am Asian). It fits a lot of different faces.

I have noticed that Tusa is popular with Japanese - partially because it's a Japanese company but it may be due to the designs. I would also second the Platina, especially for those with smaller faces.

ronscuba
May 25th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Atomic and Oceanic Shadow

liuk3
May 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I've been using the Atomic frameless maks.

ronscuba
June 9th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Just got my fiancee a Tusa Geminus. Perfect fit.

ScubaSam
June 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM
My mask and backup are Oceanic.

cheetohcat
July 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
For a single lens, I like the Gull Coco and Tusa Frameless. Let me caveat by saying I bought/borrowed/returned about 20 masks to get to these two. Both companies have really soft silicone, and the nose pockets are smaller, but have enough silicone to allow you to equalize without causing a leak.

Every face is different, but in general the area I found most problematic with other brands for me was the nose pocket.

Mares are made really large, with a high bridge. The pocket also sort of starts more forward, 'off' the face. I couldn't even grab my nose on their masks. Also, many frameless masks use a design where the nose pockets have less silicone on the sides/bridge, - they sort of smoothly merge into the frame, vs sitting behind the frame in a style with a traditional frame. As a result, when I went to equalize, I'd get a leak because I had to deform the skirt too much to get good closure. It also had more tendency to leak on my DURING the dive, and that's so frustrating as you're wasting air clearing all the time. My atomic subframe is like this too...while I love how the mask looks, now I never dive with it because it just isn't a good match for my face.

Net net, I love my Gull and my Tusa. I do think that since both are based in Asia, they probably have a better understanding of the design needs.

Good luck!

idocsteve
July 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
If anyone is going to do some research to help out the Op do NOT do a search on Asian Facial before clicking "safe search on" in your browser.

orenbvip
July 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
plane of glass?

idocsteve
July 29th, 2010, 12:20 AM
plane of glass?

No thanks, I'm good here.

Gunrock0811
July 29th, 2010, 08:02 AM
If anyone is going to do some research to help out the Op do NOT do a search on Asian Facial before clicking "safe search on" in your browser.

:rofl3::eyebrow:

anyway, i use: Genesis SM7200 "LVX" Two Window Mask (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_958/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d400/GNSML.html?Hit=1)

fits perfect on me, my wife and my friends who are also asians. they love it so much they've actually taken two of mine and i ordered a couple more just for me! best thing to do is try them on first hand before buying. there is a lot out there that fits.

deepocean
August 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM
STOP the search :) If you have an Asian face you probably have also a wider face with eyes further away from each other than say an European face. This will result in a leaking mask from the sides, because the skirt is not wide enough, for most of the brands that you will try.

This the ONLY mask that fits me well: IST Oversized Mask. See my previous post about this mask here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5375410-post20.html

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1