Nikonos vs Ikelite strobes for Nikonos V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just purchased a second hand Nikonos V with 35mm lens. I'm primarily interested in macro and "general" (fish or interesting lumps) photography, and am trying to decide which strobe is best suited for my needs. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Nikonos SB105, or the Ikelite Substrobe 100A, which are around the same price with arms, cords, etc, but the Ikelite is 100w over the Nikonos' 75w, and comes with a few extras like a hard case.

Are either of these overkill for macro photography? I'm not sure if they will exceed the TTL capability of the camera for correct exposure, or is that not a problem. There is the Ikelite Substrobe 50 (only 50w), but with a macro arm it is only about $90 cheaper than the 100A, which I can also use in general photography, and maybe as a slave one day in conjunction with a larger strobe for wide angle shots. The Substrobe 50 is also available with a hotshoe macro mount, but that configuration looks too limiting (i.e. no sidelighting, etc).

Any feedback on your experiences with any of these strobes, positive or negative, greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ben

Originally posted by bengiddins
Hi,

I've just purchased a second hand Nikonos V with 35mm lens. I'm primarily interested in macro and "general" (fish or interesting lumps) photography, and am trying to decide which strobe is best suited for my needs. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Nikonos SB105, or the Ikelite Substrobe 100A, which are around the same price with arms, cords, etc, but the Ikelite is 100w over the Nikonos' 75w, and comes with a few extras like a hard case.

Are either of these overkill for macro photography? I'm not sure if they will exceed the TTL capability of the camera for correct exposure, or is that not a problem. There is the Ikelite Substrobe 50 (only 50w), but with a macro arm it is only about $90 cheaper than the 100A, which I can also use in general photography, and maybe as a slave one day in conjunction with a larger strobe for wide angle shots. The Substrobe 50 is also available with a hotshoe macro mount, but that configuration looks too limiting (i.e. no sidelighting, etc).

Any feedback on your experiences with any of these strobes, positive or negative, greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ben

I have both strobes and can give you some personal experience. First let me say that the (usable) power output of both strobes is about the same. Yes I know that Ikelite claims that the 100a produces 100 watt seconds of light output compared to the SB105's 75-watt seconds. The problem is that they are comparing total power output. If the light is produced but not efficiently directed onto your subject, and then reflected back to your lens, it's just wasted light. If you look at the guide #s for both strobes, (and of course believe the claims), both strobes have approximately the same guide #. OK, that being said, both strobes are excellent choices. They both have their good and bad points.

The pluses of the 105 are:
It is smaller and lighter, makes it easier to work with and get into tight spots.
It has more power settings, TTL, Full, ¼, and 1/16
It has a built in slave option.

The drawbacks to the SB105 are:
The recycle time is slower (not normally a big deal with macro)
Not as many full dump shots from a set of batteries. This is not a biggie for me as I use rechargeable Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries, and change them often.
The diffuser that comes with it is easy to lose (I just ordered a new one)

The pluses of the SS100a are:
It has a built in aiming light, very useful for night dives (this is a biggie for me).
Faster recycle times
More full dumps from a set of batteries
Ikelite is supposed to have great customer service (I don't know, because I've never had to use them).
You can adjust the beam from narrow to wide without the use of a diffuser.

Drawbacks:
It's big, bulky, and heavy
It uses big bulky and heavy D-cell batteries.
If you use (cheap) rechargeable batteries, it causes the strobe to be buoyant. This throws the balance of you camera off while it's attached. It also makes it harder than it already is, to handhold the strobe. (I plan to get some good, i.e. expensive, high output, Nickel-Metal Hydride D-cell batteries. These are closer to the weight of normal D-cell batteries).
It does not have as many settings as the SB-105
It does not have a built in slave function. (You can use the Iklite remote slave sensor).

For the Nik V, shooting macro with extension tubes or the close up kit, I like the SB105 better. It's smaller, lighter, and easer to handle. I routinely remove the strobe arm from the tray and handhold. I have done many whole dives with the Nik V in my right hand, and the strobe in my left, only reattaching them when the film runs out.

For wide angle, the SS100a is a better choice, but not the best. Both strobes are underpowered for good wide-angle shots (I use them both together). The larger more powerful SS200 would be a better choice, if you had to stick to a single strobe. Or better yet, two SS200s!

Though I personally like the SB-105 better, after reading my own comments above, I'd have to recommend the SS100a. One more thing to up the ante. When I bought my SS100a, I ordered the Nik V strobe "kit". The kit comes with the Substrobe 100A, Quick Grip II Arm, N5 Tray, Handle, Quick Advance Lever, Nikonos TTL Cord, and the custom Photocase. I bought all this at B&H http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/defau...K3946.46___REG___CatID=1486___SID=E93003D0360 for $569.95! The photo case will hold the strobe, arms, camera with lens and tray attached. It also has cutouts for the wide-angle lens and finder. I was also able to put my extension tube set and close-up kit inside.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, hope the info helps. If you have any questions, feel free.

Dive Safe,
Rooster

Thanks Rooster. I think I'm going to go with the SS100A in that kit you mentioned (already was looking at that). I'm thinking of ordering an additional 6" arm to replace the 9" arm with the handle, in order to make it slightly more compact for macro work. As budget allows, I can then expand with say a SS50 on that 9" arm, to give me two strobes for macro, which seems to produce better results in photos I've seen. And then maybe one day a SS200, which I can use with the SS100A for wide angle (but that's paychecks away!).

Ben

Hi, after reading your post, I wanted to ask?, I planing to buy an UW camera and was thinking about the Nikonos V, Shold I go digital??, Should I go with a Sea&Sea? or the famous NikonosV, Im a Digital, pro, but would like to go in UW photo, this is new for me, but I like good equipment, Please recomend together with Strobes

Thanks in advance

Boris

Unfortunately, Nikonos is going to cease production very soon.

I would go with a digital camera and then buy a nice housing for it. Its all a matter of what you want to do and how much you want to spend? You can go digital with a Nikon D1 (body $5000) or go cheaper. See what I mean?

=-)

Its hard to manage a Digital camera on the surface, do you imagine Underwater???, all the controls, AF issues, ...., not sure

U/W photo is not easy. You have to be a great diver (buouyancy ....) to even begin taking a great picture.

I have had to use the Ikelite maintenance before and was very satisfied with the results. They had a quick turnaround and have not had any problems with the strobes since. In one case the strobe flooded and they replaced it. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom