Cobra 3 not acting right. Dive log PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Djstorm100

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My dad got me a cobra 3 for early bday present. I only dove with it twice. I can't get the compass caliberated to save the life of me. He bought it from Down Under. I havent called them yet which should be number one I know (flame suit on lol.)

Also I found sunnto dive software to be a bit lacking in "how to use" catagory. Are there any dive logging software to which is easy to use?

For the dive software? Organizing everything for one. I like to sort my dives to their location (Fantasy lake, Yanceyville, the Hyde, ect.) I like to also keep a seperate list of all my dives from dive 1 to xx. I guess I need to get up with a experince diver and have them show me how to operate the software.

I found some online diving log. Thats the name of it as well Diving log.

But I can't get the compass to calibrate either. First step is to rotate it 360 degrees. I put it on a table away from iron and turn it slowly and the dot just sits there.

It's probably just me, honestly but I really wanted a wrist computer so I may end up selling it with the quick disconnect hose.

I too find Suunto software pretty easy to use. I just got the Cobra 3 and found it pretty easy to set up the compass. They did say in the manual that if it failed two or three times repeatedly then you should take it back to your lds. I did look at diving log software, and it seemed pretty comprehensive, so you might want to take a look at that if you're not satisfied with Suuntos offering. As far as calibrating, try holding the compass steady and rotating yourself with it in your hands.

I have the Cobra II and find it easy to use. I sure your Cobra III came with the instruction manual , but if not you can download it from there web site. The instructions for my Cobra II advise to ermove yourself from the area where there are items with a magnetic field such as poewr lines, electric applaiances, stero systems etc. The manual even states that if teh system fails severl atiems you are most likey in an area where a source of magnetism exist.

When I reset my I went to a park and followed teh instructions and it calibrated nicely but took a few minutes

Remeber to hold teh computer level as you rotate around in a circle withteh computer. I think I had to do (2) full rotations before it reset.

I have a Cobra3. I almost took it back to the shop when I first got it and tried to calibrate the compass. What worked for me was to not hold the computer and rotate, but to set it on a wooden table and slowly turn it so that it stayed quite level. After that, all has been well! I'm now quite happy with it.

I too find Suunto software pretty easy to use. I just got the Cobra 3 and found it pretty easy to set up the compass. They did say in the manual that if it failed two or three times repeatedly then you should take it back to your lds. I did look at diving log software, and it seemed pretty comprehensive, so you might want to take a look at that if you're not satisfied with Suuntos offering. As far as calibrating, try holding the compass steady and rotating yourself with it in your hands.

I just think the Sunnto is lacking in the "how to use " department As I've read the help file. I like to organize my dives 2 ways. 1) by their location and 2) having a complete list of ALL my dives from 1-45 I cant figure out how to do this with sunnto

I have the Cobra II and find it easy to use. I sure your Cobra III came with the instruction manual , but if not you can download it from there web site. The instructions for my Cobra II advise to ermove yourself from the area where there are items with a magnetic field such as poewr lines, electric applaiances, stero systems etc. The manual even states that if teh system fails severl atiems you are most likey in an area where a source of magnetism exist.

When I reset my I went to a park and followed teh instructions and it calibrated nicely but took a few minutes

Remeber to hold teh computer level as you rotate around in a circle withteh computer. I think I had to do (2) full rotations before it reset.

When you say Reset, you mean the compass?

I went out side my bedroom and put it on the wood floor and it worked! I guess with the tv, xbox, computer there was to much magnetism in there and the kitchen.

I have a Cobra3. I almost took it back to the shop when I first got it and tried to calibrate the compass. What worked for me was to not hold the computer and rotate, but to set it on a wooden table and slowly turn it so that it stayed quite level. After that, all has been well! I'm now quite happy with it.

Thats what worked for me as well

Thanks for the info guys!!

Back
Top Bottom