Computer that now, Gauge later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firefly_843

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So my first post is a computer question, I am a fairly new diver with an interest in wrecks. There are a lot of deep wrecks that require tech skills and experence so I will be headed that way once I gain more experence. I am looking at the ALADIN TEC 2G as a computer now and a gauge/bottom time when I begin tech training in a couple years. Is this a good computer for this? I have been wading through specs and opinions on the fourm and find myself more confused then when I started researching computers! :confused:

One issue with using gauge mode on your computer is that you can be locked out of using it as a computer for recreational dives for 24-48 hours after using it in gauge mode - I don't know if this applies to the Aladdin but it may (probably does)

When you start tech diving you'll want a back up timer/depth gauge as well... the Uwatec 330m bottom timer is popular

Personally I use a Suunto Vyper for recreational diving - it has gauge mode but I don't usually use it for the above reason, unless I'm not planning to do any recreational dives that trip - and I use an Uwatec BT for tech dives, with a Citizen Aqualand watch as backup

One thing to remember if you do this is that your recreational computer won't contain all the loading data from your previous dives, so you need to take that into account for multiple dives

I'm afraid that probably wasn't the simple answer you were looking for :) but since you say you're a couple of years way from tech diving I wouldn't worry about it too much

One issue with using gauge mode on your computer is that you can be locked out of using it as a computer for recreational dives for 24-48 hours after using it in gauge mode - I don't know if this applies to the Aladdin but it may (probably does)

When you start tech diving you'll want a back up timer/depth gauge as well... the Uwatec 330m bottom timer is popular

Personally I use a Suunto Vyper for recreational diving - it has gauge mode but I don't usually use it for the above reason, unless I'm not planning to do any recreational dives that trip - and I use an Uwatec BT for tech dives, with a Citizen Aqualand watch as backup
I have the aladdin prime (the techs littlel brother and my only regret is not getting the tech as the prime lack some features with regards to altitude and freshwater as well as gases) and that one will lock you out of computer mode and only allow gague mode if you blew its deco limits, so id assume its the same with the tech.
I dont think thatll be much of an issue when youre on the stage where you want to use it as a gauge tho?
The downside to using a computer as a depth gauge is however the fact that if it craps out due to battery failure or whatever, its still crapped out and dont show you anything, so getting an analogue gauge when the time for redundant depth gauges might be as good of an idea and let the computer stay with being a computer?

I too use a Sunnto Viper and a Uwatec bottom timer, but I use both when tech diving. The Viper has a great one button to zero up timer in gauge mode which is perfect to time deco stops. Also DSS bungee mounts are available for both. Great pair for tech diving. As already stated the Viper will lock you out for 24 hours if you dive in either mode first. If your mixing tech with rec you might want a third computer or go the high dollar route with a full tech computer.

The downside to using a computer as a depth gauge is however the fact that if it craps out due to battery failure or whatever, its still crapped out and dont show you anything, so getting an analogue gauge when the time for redundant depth gauges might be as good of an idea and let the computer stay with being a computer?

Hmm I think you edited while I was replying :) It's okay I do it too, sometimes my fingers go faster than my brain

Anyway, I don't think potenitial of battery failure is necassarily a reason to get an analogue gauge, rather a reason to have a backup; after all analogue gauges can fail too

f your mixing tech with rec you might want...(to) go the high dollar route with a full tech computer

Depends what profiles you're doing... if you want deco on the fly (eg for multi-level tech dives) then yes; otherwise cutting a table with software like decoplanner or similar & using a BT will work fine for square profiles

Each to their own, lots of tech divers use VR3s etc, but they're not cheap; personally I'd rather spend the money on other things for the type (square profile) of diving that I do

You can get a DSS bungee mount for the Tec 2g too.

I appriciate the responses. Now I have a couple more things to think about as my questioning, learning and researching continue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom