Old Free Masks for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obxbride

Registered
Reaction score
I was given 2 masks that I'll be using on my honeymoon where we'll be in Hawaii and snorkeling. As a complete newbie I was hoping to get some info about them and some tips for how to properly care for them. I hope to learn a lot from this forum about snorkling before my Sept Honeymoon to Lanai and Maui!

Personally I think they look really cool, I am pretty sure they are "vintage" and I even considered posting this in the Vintage thread. As a first time poster here, please direct me if I should move my post to another sub-forum.

(cant post an image as a newbie.... )

Verbal description. Metal "casing" edges all the corners and looks to me as if the black rubber parts can be "replaced" easily if necessary. There are a few screws or nails or something holding things together. The glass is in great condition and the only markings on it say "tempered glass". I could find NO brand name or other marking on the mask itself. The broken band is labeled US AQUA SPORTS but could easily be a replacement band, and the other is missing the band. I'm going to guess that i'll need to "waterproof test" them. After I clean them up I'll probably try to bring them to a pool to test them out and make sure no "major repairs" are needed.

So a few questions I have:
1) how can I clean them properly? They were stored and are dusty/dirty and I don't want to mess them up. They are used, so I would like to "sanitize" them also to some extent.

2) Will any replacement band work", as I'll need 2.

Overall I'm overly psyched, these look to me like a great piece of equipment, but I'm curious to hear from the experts!
Thanks so much in advance!!!

Since I cant post an image until I reach five posts, I'm going to reply here for a few times so that I can post it. I PROMISE its not spam ;-]

2010-05-28%2010.17.39.jpg

I'd certainly recommend reposting in the Vintage Forum for a second opinion about identification and also for advice about repairs. The subject of three-windowed masks like these has come up at least once before on that forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vintage-equipment-diving/289825-us-divers-circa-question.html

The mask certainly resembles the Aqualung (US Divers) Wraparound, which is still in production, though now made with a silicone skirt. There were other similar masks in the past, notably the Swimaster Full View, the Dacor Trivue and the Poseidon Compact Supervision. Larry Clinton's "The Complete Outfitting & Source Book for Sport Diving" of 1978 is a big help because it's well illustrated.

wraparound.jpg

You can buy an Aqualung Wraparound new from the Navy Seals online store:

Navy SEALs | tactical equipment | SEAL Fit | fitness training gear

It's good to see such classic diving masks with character still in use. Personally, I never snorkel nowadays without an old-school rubber-skirted mask, usually oval. I tried a silicone mask once and loathed it, not least because the first silicone masks were designed for people with allergies, and I don't have any.

Thank you both!

Its great to have a "brand" or "name" to associate with it for further research. I'll bring my question to the Vintage forum to see what they might recommend! For right now, David thanks so much for your thorough response and the link to the other thread with lots of great info!

How do I "thank" or "rep" you on this forum?

Thank you both!

Its great to have a "brand" or "name" to associate with it for further research. I'll bring my question to the Vintage forum to see what they might recommend! For right now, David thanks so much for your thorough response and the link to the other thread with lots of great info!

How do I "thank" or "rep" you on this forum?

It's a pleasure, Obxbride, to be able to share what I've learnt over the years with someone who appreciates classic gear. Do repost in the vintage forum; I'm always delighted to see a thread there about something other than regulators (I'm a snorkeller, I don't scuba-dive) and there are some real experts over there who will know what to do - and what not to do - when it comes to mask repairs.

I'm grateful to NAUIwowee for confirming my hunch.

You award "thanks" by clicking the "thanks" button underneath the message you want to commend.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom