When to replace the battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic5

Registered
Reaction score
My last dive with a new computer was about 6 months ago. Now I am going on a trip again and I wonder, should I replace the battery even if it is not showing low battery? My concern is that I will be off the beaten track and if the battery comes up low am I screwed??

My solution was to only depend on computers with user replaceable batteries, always carry replacement batteries, and add a cheap, compatible backup computer to the save-a-dive kit. I use my computer until if blinks with no problem.

I feel your pain. If you have a computer like me that takes a $30 battery, it is not fun to replace not knowing the life left in the battery. But, the life left in me is more important than that of the battery. So, take a spare or replace once a year. Either way will work.

My solution was to only depend on computers with user replaceable batteries, always carry replacement batteries, and add a cheap, compatible backup computer to the save-a-dive kit. I use my computer until if blinks with no problem.

I like this advice. Having a backup computer takes a lot of anxiety out of computer failure. And it makes sense just to take a replacement battery kit. I get mine from Ebay.

Adam

The answer probably lies in whether you can replace the battery yourself. If you can, take the battery and o-ring/ lube with you and replace at the first sign the battery is low. If you have to send it in to be replaced and it has been 2 years, 200 dives and or shows less than complete power, then send it in. Most owners manuals have specific recommendations.

This problem is one that led me to change to a computer that I could replace the battery in.

Depending on how much you dive a battery can last months to years. Sound as though you are more in the later. As such, I would not worry about the battery until it shows low. That said I always check before a major trip and carry a spare.

Does the computer have any sort of 'charge indicator' giving you a clue about how much life is left in that battery ?
Is the battery easily user replaceable ? And are you completely confident you can put everything back together to guarantee no flood ? (or would it be better for a LDS to handle that for you?)
Are you bringing an extra computer with you, just in case you do screw it up ?
Are you in a position to test dive it prior to the trip ? (better to flood it here locally than when you're on the other side of the world)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom