Any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Im not yet in the water but will be getting my cert soon, and diving every chance I get (hopfully!) I have been told having my own mask, snorkel, and fins is best to start so I have done some reaserch but thought some feedback would be great too. I will be diving cold water so like the mares avanti superchannel strap with booties, and the mares x vision liquidskin mask. Havent gotten to the snorkel but do i really need one? (I've read a couple of posts where people dont use one at all) I'm looking for good quality with a decent price, dont have a ton to spend (been saving a year+ to do this) but dont want to go the cheap way and have to rebuy after my first dive. Also any suggestions on what else would be helpful to get would be great. Thanks

Buying your own soft gear is always a good idea. Mares made good quality gear and if you like it, buy it. You will need a snorkel for your course, they are cheap and I would buy one. My reason, what are you going to do if the boat spots whale sharks, whales & dolphins on the surface? You want to be in position to grap your fins, mask and snorkel and hit the water quick!!!

The snorkel is one thing you probably won't replace. Get a simple, inexpensive one. Just make sure its not a toy snorkle. A US Divers snorkle from the local big box store works just fine if you can find just the snorkle.

A mask that fits you properly is worth whatever it costs whether its $10 or $100. A mask that doesn't fit right is uncomfortable and can make you really dislike scuba in some cases.
Ber :lilbunny:

You have selected quality gear. I still dive with an X-vision mask and I used Mares fins similar to those for years. Just make sure the mask fits properly. You will need a snorkel for class, at least, and it's good to have one for snorkeling opportunities, even if you decide not to dive with it. You just need a J-shaped tube--purges and one-way valves are neither necessary nor even desirable.

Choice of gear is a very personal matter. Fit and comfort is paramount. The mask should be low volume and seal and fit well. Fins also should be comfortable and my favorite is the Force Fin Pro, but lots hate them.

You should have a snorkel and I like the easy breathing of Aqualung snorkels.

Adam

The mask should be low volume and seal and fit well.

Why should the mask be low volume? There is a compromise at some point; many low volume masks do not have as good a field of view as many higher volume masks. A dive mask that works for the diver is more important that a masks volume.

Low volume masks are popular lately, but there are pros and cons. The pro is that you can clear the water out of it more rapidly. However, people with large or long noses may find them uncomfortable. Also, if a low volume mask leaks or fogs up, it is more of a problem than if the same were to happen with an old-school high volume mask. The reason is that if there is any water in the low volume mask, your nose is in the water. With the old style masks that had a single lens in front of your eyes and nose, there was plenty of room for a little water that you could swish around to clear the fog, without having your nose underwater. Also, the old style masks, although hard to find, are often much cheaper. So, if you can't find a low volume mask that fits well, try one of the old ones. You may like it better.

Also any suggestions on what else would be helpful to get would be great. Thanks

You're on the right track.

The mask is the biggest trick. You can read reviews and get opinions all day but in the end it needs to fir your face. For some it's a no brainer. For others it's like Cinderella looking for the magic slipper. Here are some tips. While the local dive shop (LDS) may cost a few dollars more they can usually fork with you if the chosen mask is not working for you in the pool.

You will need a snorkel to meet agnecy requirements. There are good reasons to use a snorkel and many opinions not to. Except for some overhead water situations like in a cave or wreck the arguments amount to proving a negative. In any case get one but don't break the bank.

Fins and booties should be purchased together so they will fit well as a pair. The thickness of the neoprene and heft of the sole varies and that will influence fin fit. You want open heel fins with straps. these are worn with booties that have enough firmness to offer some support and protection when walking in full gear. Fins are something worth going at least mid range on. Stiff plastic paddles are inefficient and can be hard on your legs. We have had good luck with the Aeries Velocity ans Scuba Pro Jet fins. I would avoid split fins. Also the fins found in many "sets" are junk that can literally break in a dive or two. Booties that have a Velcro tab to keep the zipper closed can be nice when not wearing a full length suit.

Other than that you should be relying on shop gear to get certified. If there is any variety try as much as you can. Try to identify some likes and dislikes. There is plenty of great gear on the market. The trick is finding what is great for you.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom