need a fin recommendation, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nene

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hate to re-open the fin controversy that seems to brew on these pages but I am planning a trip to Belize in 3 weeks and just found out that my "hand-me-down" open heel fins and boots are both shot and need replacing.
I am a 150 lb. female who wears size 7 1/2 shoes. I need something lightweight as I need to fly to visit the ocean and want to stay within luggage restrictions and still be able to pack some clothes to wear. Our local dive shop in Kentucky only stocks fins over $150 and I'd rather pay less than $75 especially since my boots need replacing also.
I'm a dedicated snorkeler but just recently renewed my PADI Open water certification in the hopes to dive with whale sharks. Probably won't do much diving in the future. All of my trips are to warm water locations.
Stupid question, but are all fin sizes "uni-sex?" There seems to be a lot of problems with finding the correct size. Any views on the Cressi Palau fins? I like the idea of an open heel fin that doesn't require a boot, I have swim socks that I can wear.

I hate to re-open the fin controversy that seems to brew on these pages but I am planning a trip to Belize in 3 weeks and just found out that my "hand-me-down" open heel fins and boots are both shot and need replacing.
I am a 150 lb. female who wears size 7 1/2 shoes. I need something lightweight as I need to fly to visit the ocean and want to stay within luggage restrictions and still be able to pack some clothes to wear. Our local dive shop in Kentucky only stocks fins over $150 and I'd rather pay less than $75 especially since my boots need replacing also.

LeisurePro has the Tusa SF-5x Platina fins on sale right now for $70. Not the lightest fin out there -- I just weighed my mediums, and they're a little over four pounds -- but a very good choice. I originally picked up a pair because they're shorter (and pack better) than the Tusa Tri-Ex I was diving at the time; I found I got equally good propulsion for less effort expended. For my (US) mens' 7 feet the medium fin works well with boots, and the large works with the boots integral to my drysuit.
LP is listing them as closeout; Tusa's web site shows them as a current product.

I'm a dedicated snorkeler but just recently renewed my PADI Open water certification in the hopes to dive with whale sharks. Probably won't do much diving in the future. All of my trips are to warm water locations.
Stupid question, but are all fin sizes "uni-sex?" There seems to be a lot of problems with finding the correct size. Any views on the Cressi Palau fins? I like the idea of an open heel fin that doesn't require a boot, I have swim socks that I can wear.

Never dived Cressi fins. I dive in cold fresh water, so the boots are a given in my case. Have you considered a low shoe? They're usually thinner and you don't look as dorky walking to the water...

Weight restrictions... :depressed:!

1. Aries Velocity fins. Really affordable, light, maneuverable n reasonably fast but doesn't have the power of the jets.

2. Mares Avanti X3 Open Heel or Mares Avanti Superchannel Open Heel Fins, great if you've got stronger legs n they're nearly as powerful as the quattros.

I would choose a open foot design as I've seen a few too many stubbed toes n punctured soles that a simple boot could have avoided.

Cheers,

SangP

If you're going to spend any time in Belize City, Brodies Supermarket (and clothing...kind of a Belizean Walmart) has Beachat fins. I have two pairs I bought there, one long blade and one about the size of Mares Avanti Quattro full foot fins. Both are very comfortable and cost around US$75.

I recommend Jet Fins. You'll likely wear a medium. A pair of medium Jet Fins weighs about 4 lbs. You will find lighter fins, but you won't find any that work as well.

You can take a look at the TUSA Liberator X-ten or ScubaPro Sport Jet. Both are lightweight and retail in the 70 to 80 dollar range.

After year of diving with different fins
- I love my Apollo Split Fins.

Just try them.

I guess I would still use my stiff fins if I wanted more exact maneuverability, but frankly, I've never noticed any problem maneuvering around and getting around that rock after that lingcod in current. I don't even think about it - I just go where I want and line up for the shot.

After year of diving with different fins
- I love my Apollo Split Fins.

Just try them.

I guess I would still use my stiff fins if I wanted more exact maneuverability, but frankly, I've never noticed any problem maneuvering around and getting around that rock after that lingcod in current. I don't even think about it - I just go where I want and line up for the shot.

+1 for the Apollos...not the lightest of fins, but you'd have to pry 'em out of my cold, dead hands to get me to give 'em up!

P.S., if ya want 'stiff', go for the Apollo XT series fins, they are substantially stiffer than the 'regular' Apollos.....but honestly, I prefer the regular (less stiff) Apollos, with stainless steel spring straps!

+2 on the Mares. Light, inexpensive, powerful.

Back
Top Bottom