Regulator recovery drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ESQ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the longhose primary reg recovery drill?

I've wondered what the best way of finding your reg if it gets knocked out of your mouth since I switched to longhose.

Thanks!

1. Immediately switch to your bungee octo.

2. Depending on which 1st stage you're using n which lp port you're using for the primary this is what I usually do.
Apeks/Aqualung 1st stage, I would sweep my right arm in an anti clockwise motion from 9 to 12 o'clock. If that doesn't work I'll do it with my left arm but in a clockwise motion from 3 to 12. If I still can't locate the "lost" reg I'll reach back to the 1st stage n feel from the rear port along the hose till I find the damn thing LOL!

SP or 1st stage where the bottom lp port is used for the long hose. Swing my right arm from 6 to 12 o'clock as it's easier cus the long hose emerges from the right of the wing anyway.

SangP

What is the longhose primary reg recovery drill?

I've wondered what the best way of finding your reg if it gets knocked out of your mouth since I switched to longhose.

Thanks!

It's still going to be running across the back of your neck, and under your can light(or tucked into your waist belt). It's hard to see it getting very far.

It's still going to be running across the back of your neck, and under your can light(or tucked into your waist belt). It's hard to see it getting very far.

When I switched to the long hose I did this drill, over and over and over and over and over, add nauseam. Then I learned how to stow it properly:wink:
Eric

Agreed.

I would pop in the backup reg, then feel for the long hose running across my chest, the run my hand along that to locate the second stage. If the hose isn't there, I'd reach down to the can light and find the hose at that point.

Because you've got your backup in, there's no rush to sort this out. Take your time and be systematic about it.

As others said 1st thing switch to your back-up, Then locate the primary and it really should not go far since its tucked into your waist belt or run under a can light and then around your neck at most it should be right in front of you unless it got hooked onto something and pulled away from you then its a matter of follwing the hose

Ok, that is pretty much what I figured and what I do. I immediately go to backup and then sort it out. My biggest issue is that i really can't 'feel' a hose very well against my suit due to the level of gloves and exposure protection we wear here.

Another question for you folks: when do you clip off your primary to your chest d-ring? Is it just for storage and when you are breathing a stage?

Another question for you folks: when do you clip off your primary to your chest d-ring? Is it just for storage and when you are breathing a stage?

The primary is in your mouth, your buddy's mouth, your hand, or clipped off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom