Few Questions (Consoles, Back Up Comp, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanLover91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Personally I want a wrist computer, Nitrox compatible, that shows depth, temp, time, NDL, and is a compass but right now I think it would be in my best interest to wait and get a console set up that can later be used as a back up to my wrist comp.

I just bought 2 regs and 2 octos (one each for my fiance and one each for me) but still need SPGs and we would prefer to dive with comps because while eRDPmls aren't hard to use, we like seeing the NDL's while we are actually diving, so we have been thinking it might be a good idea to just get a console comp, nothing fancy, because it's only going to be our primary comp for a little while, that can function as a primary while we save for what we really want.

I am looking at this:
Oceanic Veo 180 Computer Console @ Divers-Supply.com

I was wondering if this was a good deal or not? I live in Jacksonville, so I would actually go to the store, not buy online. I have not actually been there yet so I have a question that will probably show my "newb-ness." If I were to buy this, would I also get the SPG?

One more thing, what is the difference between the above and this:
Oceanic Veo 180 Navcon Computer @ Divers-Supply.com

It seems like the exact same thing except it says Navcon and is more expensive.

Also, if you happen to know of another similar set up that is not too expensive, please let me know. Thanks! :D

I am looking at this:
Oceanic Veo 180 Computer Console @ Divers-Supply.com

I was wondering if this was a good deal or not? I live in Jacksonville, so I would actually go to the store, not buy online. I have not actually been there yet so I have a question that will probably show my "newb-ness." If I were to buy this, would I also get the SPG?
It's a good question, and not really clear from the advertisement you linked to. Ask them when you go to the shop. If it does, it's a good deal. If not, then it's a little annoying that they didn't make that clear. In any case, it shouldn't cost much more than $325 with SPG included, as offered at LeisurePro.com.

You can get a veo 180 wrist computer for about $200.

I did the same thing you did and it just ended up costing me more money. If you like the VEO180, just buy it as a wrist computer in the first place. Buy the SPG and compass separately. Compass can either be a wrist unit or on a retractor, personal preference.

Taken from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5274013-post16.html

There are two types of computers - Air Integrated (AI) and non-AI. AI computers have some way of sensing the tank air pressure, non-AI units do not. Some AI computers sense tank pressure by connecting into your tank via a hose on a high pressure (HP) port. You will also find some computers described as "hoseless" - this is an AI computer which has a sensor which screws into the HP port, and that sensor transmits information to your computer via a short-range signal - no hose, hence hoseless.

The presence of an analog pressure gauge in the boot (the housing at the end of the HP hose) below the computer indicates to me that there is no HP connection to the computer, hence it is not AI. You can pop the computer out of the boot and put it into a different (smaller) boot with straps to mount it on your forearm (where it is more convenient if air integration is not necessary).

Here is what my AI computer looks like: Sherwood Wisdom 2 Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Sherwood

AI is not necessary. Computers are not necessary. However, I really like the AI features - my computer calculates the "safe minutes" at my given depth in real time by determining air time remaining (based on current consumption levels for the past several seconds) and N2 loading. Whichever of the two above is the limiting factor is the criterion used to find the safe minutes at depth. Allowing for a maximum ascent rate of 60 ft/s up to 30 ft and thereafter an ascent rate of 30 ft/s, and including a 3 min safety stop at 20 ft, and the desired psi left in the tank (user determined) the computer counts down safe time. Of course, if you are old school, you can just disable the audible safe minutes alarm and ignore the display.

Back
Top Bottom