Last few feet of U-853 bow missing....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my last dive to the U-853 (3 weeks ago) I noticed the bow section was missing. The last three horizontal feet of the bow and about 6 feet verticle were missing. We could not see any metal in the sand nearby. Does anyone know what happend to it? I was disappointed because that is the most dramatic sight for me on this wreck.

Thanks

--Matt

Supposedly, it fell off... We dove the U-boat two times this year with Gary Chellis off Atlantis . According to Gary, the bow was still more or less intact late (November) last year, and was in its current condition on the first dives this year (April). So somewhere in there, it fell off, probably in one of the storms.

For some reason I did not see the bow section in my previous dives. I was able to see the broken off portion of the bow right in front. Ha ha - I have no idea why I did not spot it before.....My dives last weekend were in poor conditions (poor for U-853). Vis was no more than 3 feet. It was virtually a night dive below 90 feet. You could see NOTHING without your light right on the hull. You could tell where the surface was (visually) but that was about it.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom