Is there a function benefit to different masks? Or decide on "fit" only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rutger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I lost the mask I have been diving on for the past 5 years. IT was the first mask I ever bough, large, single-pane, seemed to fit my face, never had any leak issues, was a bit pricey, but for 5 years of problem-free service, I can't complain.

Now that I actually know what I'm doing, and have been buying all manner of dive gear for purpose, I'm in the habit of researching and shopping around. With masks, all it did was expose that my options are....infinite.

So, is there any need to put that much, if any thought into a mask, or should I do what I did the first time, walk in to LDS, Grab the one that looks good, see if it fits face, buy, dive.

Thought?

ps. Tomorrow...same question inre: Snorkel. Which I also lost.

Mask: Frame-less and low volume. I find them more comfortable, more visual range and more likely to fit compared to most others I have tried. Like you said, go with what works.

Snorkel: I haven't used one since OW class. But that just opened up a can of worms. When I snorkel, I use one that is comfortable in my mouth and lightweight...and cheap.

If you read the reviews of masks in the magazines, they DO vary in terms of field of view, up and down and side to side. But for me, the first criterion in a mask is fit. If it leaks, it's a PITA, and I don't care how good the field of vision is. If it seals and sits comfortably, I can adapt to a smaller field of view.

Fit, the rest are nice to haves!

Fit is first and foremost for any mask. If your mask is constantly leaking, it will be annoying and a distraction.

After fit, a low-volume mask would be the priority. Huge, fishbowl masks should be a thing of the past. Low profile masks are less likely to be kicked off from a diver's fin or pulled off by strong current.

After those.... skirt color, frame, frameless, etc is all personal choise.

If you can find it buy the same as you lost. It fit and it did not leak, thats exactly what you are looking for. You are used to it and it did not annoy you enough to replace it. A good buy.

So, I lost the mask I have been diving on for the past 5 years. IT was the first mask I ever bough, large, single-pane, seemed to fit my face, never had any leak issues, was a bit pricey, but for 5 years of problem-free service, I can't complain.

Now that I actually know what I'm doing, and have been buying all manner of dive gear for purpose, I'm in the habit of researching and shopping around. With masks, all it did was expose that my options are....infinite.

So, is there any need to put that much, if any thought into a mask, or should I do what I did the first time, walk in to LDS, Grab the one that looks good, see if it fits face, buy, dive.

Thought?

ps. Tomorrow...same question inre: Snorkel. Which I also lost.

Fit is first and foremost for any mask. If your mask is constantly leaking, it will be annoying and a distraction.

After fit, a low-volume mask would be the priority. Huge, fishbowl masks should be a thing of the past. Low profile masks are less likely to be kicked off from a diver's fin or pulled off by strong current.

After those.... skirt color, frame, frameless, etc is all personal choise.
+1

Strong current, such as those found around wrecks or in high outflow caves, (or on recreational dives in numerous locations) will pull a mask off more quickly if its a larger, bulky mask. High current dislodging a mask can be a problem that starts a cascade of other problems. One example of a high current mask loss, from an older thread, which is still directly germain to the subject:
"Piecing the story together, the scenario goes as follows: The victim hooked on the reef. She lost a fin in the current, perhaps looked back to assess the situation, and lost her mask in the process. She panicked, dropped her weight belt, and tried to remove her BCD. What follows next, no one knows. She may have panicked, hyperventilated, and became unconscious. She had an abrasion on her forehead, so she may have hit her head in the current and became unconscious. The end result was that she was unconscious and drown. Although the reg was in her mouth, her nose was exposed, and the current was high velocity, and sea water likely could've entered and filled her lungs."
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/25725-lessons-learned-death-palau.html

Fit and low volume are important. Other than that, if a person requires corrective lenses, a mask that allows custom lenses to be inserted into it is handy. Additionally, if you are a model for a photographer, photographer's often prefer silicone skirts because they allow more light in to illuminate the face of the model.

The other item is that you want a mask with quality attachments for mask straps so that pins don't fall out, plastic parts break, etc. IOW, I tend to start looking among higher quality name brands.

YMMV.

What is the advantage of "Black"? My previous one was clear, because I thought it would provide less of a distraction. Is black better?

Sad to hear that you lost a good piece of gear : (

In terms of importance:
1. Fit/comfort
2. Viewing area
3. Low volume
4. Black lol!

Snorkel is that little piece of gear that is seldom used during a dive but when there's snorkeling involved... smiles...
I like this cus it's foldable n light : )
OmerSub Zoom Pro Soft Snorkel

SangP

I like black for free diving as it blocks out the glare of he sun on the surface. Under water I can use clear.

Back
Top Bottom