Lost 40lbs... now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, want to take the next step...

Brute force diet and low level exercise got me from 209 dow to 169 since Christmas. But I'm thinking going from "fat" to "thin" is only step 1. Next is going from "thin" to "fit" to which I've addedd cardio (daily bike ride or stepper session) and resistance training (bowflex). What should I be adding supplement/nutritionals wise? Omega-3 fishoils? Thought?

:luxhello: Nice job!!!

RJP. I have pretty much the same thing. I was 215 at the beginning of Dec, hit the Gym, and now I'm at 175. So I know it's not easy and Congrats.
Personally I started with Cardio (running like a maniac) to drop the Lbs. Not that I'm close to where I should be, I'm mixing my Running with some specific weight training.
Nutrition wise, I've just been watching my Calorie intake and how much of the "essential" stuff I take it (Protein, Fats, Sugars). A good thing to Add "Suppliment" wise is Chia, yes like the Pet. It's Loaded with Fiber, Protein, Omega-3s and other goodies. When I'm feeling frisky I make Chia Fresca for my runs. Chia + Water + a splash of Margarita mix (for flavor) = Natures Red Bull lol

Hope this helped somehow. lol

PS. Jim W was one of my DM class instructors. Good man. A friend of his is a friend of mine :eek:)

Last edited:
Way to go!

Some supplements you may want to consider (other than just a good old multivitamin) would be an omega-3 supplement, blueberry &/or pomegranate (both excellent antioxidants/anti-inflammatory) most importantly though is just maintaining a healthy, balanced diet (lots of fruits & vegetables) and keep the junk food to a minimum (I'm lucky - I don't like the golden arches but I am a sucker for Doritos) and keep exercising on a regular basis.

I've only lost 25lbs so far and still have about 30 to go.

I am guessing in the process of losing that significant amount of weight that you sustained some loss of lean muscle tissue. I would recomend joining a local gym (sell the Bowflex) and initiate a comprehensive regime in order to increase muscle density, increase your sitting metabolism, retain flexibility, increase bone density, impress the girls, etc., etc. etc.

High dose fish oil (2 teaspons per day+) has been a life saver for me with cardiovascular system benefits and reduced joint pain due to it's anti inflamation properties. Scott

Last edited:
Keep the bowflex. Resistance is resistance. If you really want to get rid of it, contact me. Mine's worn out. I have a 2002 model.
Eat 5-6 times per day. Stay off the processed foods. Get a juicer. Drink water and not soda and sugar laced drinks.
Egg whites and fruit shakes. Fish.
I got injured and had to stop the bowflex for about 5 months. I lost 10 lbs of muscle.

Keep the bowflex. Resistance is resistance. If you really want to get rid of it, contact me. Mine's worn out. I have a 2002 model.

Check out Ebay or Craigslist. There is about 2K for sale....

It's use does not solicit core muscles much at all in comparsion to free-weights...Nice clothes rack though...:D

Check out Ebay or Craigslist. There is about 2K for sale....

It's use does not solicit core muscles much at all in comparsion to free-weights...Nice clothes rack though...:D

Thanks. And you're right..hah...with three teenage girls in the house, I do have to search for the bowflex sometimes....under all the clothes.
But at age 55 (in 2 months) free weights kill me. The initial torque it takes to get the weight moving is more joint stress then the slow build up of tension in the bowflex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom