Loss of Wireless Computer Communication Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrussell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would be interested in hearing from real life users of wireless air integrated wrist mounted computers as to the freqeuency/seriousness of signal communication loss. Are some products better than others? It would seem very disconcerting to check tank air pressure only to find the signal has been lost. Is signal loss more prevelent in salt water vs fresh water?
Thanks for the input.

I would be interested in hearing from real life users of wireless air integrated wrist mounted computers as to the freqeuency/seriousness of signal communication loss. Are some products better than others? It would seem very disconcerting to check tank air pressure only to find the signal has been lost. Is signal loss more prevelent in salt water vs fresh water?
Thanks for the input.

The UWATEC Galileo Sol/Luna line enjoys an excellent reputation for trouble-free signal connections. I have around 180 dives on mine. Only momentary (few secs) breaks here and there...

Based on the reports I see here, it seems to vary from user to user. In about 4 years and 300 dives, I have never noticed a signal lapse on my Suunto D9, but others have reported experiencing them frequently. I was an early adopter of this technology and signal lapses used to be the norm, particularly when my strobes were cycling, but the technology has clearly improved quite a bit. If a signal loss would be a stressful event for you, then you should have an analog SPG as back up.

In 300+ dives I've lost the signal one time that I was unable to get it back on my Oceanic VT3. In more or less the same amount of dives my wife's Galileo Sol has also only lost the signal one time (technically, she didn't lose the signal, her computer completely froze), and both losses happened on the same dive. I suspect it had something to do with diving over the main electrical cable that runs from Playa Del Carmen, Mexico to Cozumel island. Other than that, I have the occasional momentary loss of the signal. At worst, I simply have to lift my arm up near the transmitter and I get the signal back. Truth be told, of all of the info that my PDC gives me, gas pressure is the least important, once I've established the tank pressure on the surface. As long as I know the time and depth I've been down, I have a pretty good idea of how much gas I have left. I do carry a spare transmitter, battery, and analog SPG in my save-a-dive kit just in case.

Suunto Vyper: Never lost comms during a dive

Mine does seem to have a glitch though:
Sometimes I need to double check cylinder pressures while at home so I connect my regs to the cylinder and read the pressure from my backup SPG, so the transmitter activates but never links with the computer. This is when the problem occurs.

The problem is that the transmitter code changes, and the computer needs to be reset before it can link, which takes 10 seconds when you know how. This has happened to me twice so far in only 30 odd dives.

The solution for me is check before the dive that the computer is linked because during the dive it cannot be reset. (I dont know how to anyway)

If I activate the transmitter only while wearing the computer it has always linked.

Based on the reports I see here, it seems to vary from user to user. In about 4 years and 300 dives, I have never noticed a signal lapse on my Suunto D9, but others have reported experiencing them frequently. I was an early adopter of this technology and signal lapses used to be the norm, particularly when my strobes were cycling, but the technology has clearly improved quite a bit. If a signal loss would be a stressful event for you, then you should have an analog SPG as back up.
I just bought the Suunto Vyper Air and 2 out of 4 the signal failed. I am glad a pressure gauge back up but this is dissapointing

Uwatec Aladin Smart TEC wrist. It bitches every time it "loses" the signal, which seems to be often. However, I tend to keep my hands and arms close in front of me because I'm freezing. I raise my hand up and it instantly resyncs. I suggest this one may be blamed on the operator. :)

BTW - it has a 'hiccup' in the signal, it doesn't actually "lose" it.

Last edited:
I've used an Oceanic VT3 and an Aeris Elite (same manufacturer). Both had solid signals. We recently did a test on the VT3. At about 60 ft. my buddy took the computer and swam away. He got about 15-20 feet before he lost the signal from my transmitter. We were both surprised and impressed.

I just bought the Suunto Vyper Air and 2 out of 4 the signal failed. I am glad a pressure gauge back up but this is dissapointing

You posted this in 3 different theards and you have not commented on you main one. So like somebody else said RTFM! an post a current picture fo your computer.

Back
Top Bottom