Southern CA Diving - Sceptre in Ventura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluJuJu

Reaction score
I dive mostly in northern CA, and next week I'm running down to Ventura for a trip on the Sceptre out to the channel islands. Anyone have any experience w/ them and/or advice? 20 years ago, I did my first diving in the Anacapa/Catalina areas but have no experience w/ any of the dive ops down there now.

Brad

Brad,
I live about 15 minutes from the Spectre in Ventura harbor and dive it all the time. What do you want to know? Ted the captain has been driving boats in this area for 30 years and is the most professional and cautious dive boat captain I know. You'll be in good hands with him and his excellent divemasters. There's no babysitting; they leave you alone unless they see you are a screwup. The boat's a little worn but everything works.
Go to www.takemetoo.com for more info. Let me know if you want a buddy.

Neil

I've been on the Spectre a few times, and have not been disappointed. Fine diving, good bbq chicken lunch, good crew...I find the 3/4 day charters convenient for my schedule.

I did my last dives for my OW card and they were great. They let us check in the night before and sleep on the boat also, which was nice.
The only compaint I heard was from the hunters because we dove the preserve alot.
Have fun,
Billy

On the 3/4 day dives the Spectre ventures the closer Channel Islands; usually Anacapa. Most of Anacapa is off limits to hunting now.

Thanks for all the good info. I'm diving off Spectre next week and from the positive feedback, expect to have a good time. Because after all, the best part about a boat dive is the dive! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom