DiveXtras Sierra vs. Cuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

My bonus gets deposited this Friday, and that means it's nearly time for me to actually pull the trigger on a scooter purchase. I've pretty much decided to go with a DiveXtras scooter, since I like their size/weight profiles. The final decision really comes down to Sierra vs. Cuda 650.

Some upfront info...

• I'm about 5'9", and I plan to use this for shore diving primarily. I've lifted both, and the Sierra is definitely more manageable by length.
  • I'm not currently looking at the Fury battery options in either case; I don't feel that I need that kind of burn time at this point, and I can upgrade later.
  • For those of you familiar with the area, I'll be diving in the Monterey/Carmel, CA area. I'm particularly interested in scootering to some of the outer shore dives at Pt. Lobos, as well as completing the "grand circuit" at San Carlos Beach.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Sierra based on my height and dive requirements. Having said that, I'm definitely seriously considering the Cuda for the increase speed and runtime. At this point, I just to hear the opinions of people with more direct experience with both of these scooters. :)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

From someone who owns a 50lb scooter I would happily shed a few pounds to make entry and exit easier, let alone lugging it down the beach or over the rocks (Okay so I dive the North Coast a lot). With an hour long run time how much more run time do you really need? I like to stop and check out the creatures, not be on the trigger the entire time. You can get a second battery and quickly change them out with a Sierra on a SI for dive two.

The Sierra does a great job of being stowed while tooling around in the water. The extra length of the Cuda might be more noticeable. Note: I have not used a Cuda.

The Cuda is fast. If your buddies have a Cuda then you are going to be the one holding them up if you go with a Sierra. If they have Sierra's then a Cuda is pointless, unless someone has to get towed in which case the Cuda is going to be desired.

Cost is another thought and you already know that DSS builds a really nice expensive lithium battery.

So those are my random thoughts.

The outer shore dives at Lobos exceed the rule of thirds for the Sierra.

If your team intends to take Sierras and/or Short Gavins to these sites, you would be prudent to take a spare scooter.

All the best, James

The outer shore dives at Lobos exceed the rule of thirds for the Sierra.

If your team intends to take Sierras and/or Short Gavins to these sites, you would be prudent to take a spare scooter.

Point well taken, although myself being a person who has not yet scootered Lobos, our definitions for "outer" are probably a bit different at this point. :)

I'm assuming that this would not be the case if I was using the Fury battery, as it would seem to provide more than enough run-time for the task...

Point well taken, although myself being a person who has not yet scootered Lobos, our definitions for "outer" are probably a bit different at this point. :)

I'm assuming that this would not be the case if I was using the Fury battery, as it would seem to provide more than enough run-time for the task...

My X scooter has been bulletproof for the most part. That being said scooters can break. Taking an extra scooter is a nice option - given you have another scooter.

Having to tow a Gavin/Mako due to a cooked relay, trigger mishap, or flooding etc. is a complete drag. I've had to do this a few times in the Atlantic and it is no fun. Lobos is a long swim and I certainly wish I had scooter toys when I was a student at Santa Cruz. All we had were those big, dodgy Farallon missiles that no one would lend out.

X

Meh. You're probably right - what's "inner" to us may not be for you - so I overlaid the ranges of the Sierra on the BAUE map, hope it helps.

LobosSierra800.jpg

There's two ranges on the map.

Yellow: true thirds, you can have a scooter die at the furthest point and have enough juice in the remaining scooter to tow two home.

Red: range at halves; the scooter will return at empty or close to it. No reserves.

These ranges are appliciable to two different gear configurations, a fast single or slow doubles....

Single cylinder/speed 3 to 4 (covering ground with limited gas supplies)
Doubles / cruise speed, 150 fpm (most range with excess gas supply)

Anyway, if you're serious about going places, the Cuda is a warm fuzzy feeling, especially when you're a long way from home. And the Sierra is really easy through the surf.

Cheers!

All the best, James

Meh. You're probably right - what's "inner" to us may not be for you - so I overlaid the ranges of the Sierra on the BAUE map, hope it helps.

Thanks James - that might be one of the most helpful images I've ever seen! :D

I'm still very much open to the idea of the cuda, and I definitely don't want to end up "buying twice". The on-land ergonomics of the sierra are very appealing to me, and I'm realistically 1-2 years from having the training under my belt to do any sort of deco diving. It seems like most of the extended range I'd get from the cuda probably just leads to sites I'm not really ready to dive anyway. I dunno...

This is a tough decision!! Any more norcal locals want to sway me one way or the other? :D

Jame's chart seems about right. Since we are not cave diving generally I never worry about rules of thirds for scooter battery life. More realistically can we swim back in without the scooter? If the answer is no, then we are out too far.

Beyond the yellow line I have a boat...then again we did Great Pinnacle to Blue Fish and back to Great Pinnacle, swimming.

If you have the money for either go with a Cuda you won't look back. Especially if you plan on moving to stages etc. the power/speed/bat life will make a huge difference. I have both and while I like the serria for tooling around and dives off boats it is clipped off as the backup scooter 90% of the time. I fly the cuda at serria speeds a lot of the time but being able to catch up to anyone is a good feeling to have.

The rule for buying scuba gear is to look down the road and buy what you WILL need, don't limit your self to what you can use right now. If you have the $$$ buy the Cuda.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom