Skills for a Lifetime of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Quick report.......

One year ago I had a chance to dive with Trace Malinowski, PDIC Technical Training Director, with my little camera in hand. Let’s just say it was an eye opening experience. His control and gracefulness in the water was hypnotic. After that dive I wanted that skill set in order to someday look like that in the water. That hour changed my diving forever.

Trace Malinowski
DSC01746-1.jpg

Talking with Trace my first step was to make some gear changes. During the year, with his guidance, I purchased gear that would complement the training I sought. It was not about a brand name but how the gear worked. After purchasing everything needed, I signed up for his class with the excitement of a little kid at Christmas.

DSC03374.jpg

I enrolled in two classes that would challenge me as a diver. The first class was PDIC Tek Prep with Trace Malinowski and the second GUE-F with Bob Sherwood Course Director.

PDIC Tek Prep

The PDIC course started with a day of classroom work. Dive planning, gas management, SAC, team priorities, awareness, SMB deployment, S-Drill, V-Drill, basic 5, hand signals and 30/30 slides. We also reviewed kicks that would be required. The next day started off with gear review and then off to the picnic tables for kick training. We spent time on flutter, modified flutter, frog, modified frog, helicopter turn, and the back kick. All the kicks I have used before but the back kick was something I could never do before class. We spent the rest of the days diving and reviewing our issues. Trace went out of his way to help each diver fine tune the skills in and out of the water. He pushed us to our limits (in a safe way). I really enjoyed the class and learned so much about my diving and how far I can push myself.

Trace Malinowski
DSC00694.jpg

GUE-F

The GUE-F course started the same way as the PDIC course. The two courses are very close in many ways but the teaching is a little different. Bob Sherwood could look at a diver in a few seconds and make gear adjustments that had huge paybacks in the water. It was almost scary that he was right every time. From my dry suit issues to the double HP100’s being short on my frame. It all started to make sense.

Bob Sherwood
DSC00606.jpg

We also reviewed the flutter, modified flutter, frog, modified frog, helicopter, back kick, valve drill, s-drill, basic-5, SMB, and 30/30 slides. SAC, Nitrox, dive planning, were also some of the topics covered. I found that Bob likes to teach more during the dive as compared to teaching on land. Both ways are hands on and I like the results from both. Trace and Bob each have their own style but they get the students to the same place, TEAM, TRIM, and SKILLS.

With most of the kicks down I was able to take on more task loading during dives and even ascents. For example the SMB ascent with an OOA diver holding a primary light would have overloaded me but now it’s second nature. Team diving is more relaxed for me as well. Being that close to another diver was a hard thing to overcome. It’s all in the details and Bob wants perfection from every diver. There were a few ups and down but Bob made the class fun and as light hearted as possible.

Bob Sherwood
DSC00648.jpg

One tool every diver should have is the back kick. I used this so many times during the dive for fine-tuning control. Before these classes I had no back kick even though I worked on it for over a year. With two weeks of training I now have a #4 back kick.

These classes are the best investment I have ever made in my diving. I’m more confident in the water with my newfound control and skill set. Sure I have things to work on but now I know the right way to do things.

If you want to become a well-rounded diver or are looking to move to the next level, these classes open your eyes to a whole new world of diving. If you don’t believe me then ask to dive with them on a fun dive. You will find you have a lot to learn…as I did.

Challenge yourself and reach out to Trace and Bob!!

http://www.scubacoachtrace.com/About.html

GUE Instructor résumé | Global Underwater Explorers

What a great pair of experiences!

The best thing about this kind of training is that it does just what Jarrod promises in his Fundamentals book . . . it makes diving more FUN. Better control in the water means you can stop and look at things, or back up if you've drifted over them, or back away from the wall so you don't damage anything. Better team skills means no more lost buddies and a lot less stress underwater. Better stability in the water column means safer diving. Non-silting propulsion means you can continue to look at something, without coping with your self-generated haze, and the site is left untouched for the people coming behind you.

Just wait -- six months from now, you won't BELIEVE how much your diving has changed!

My Essentials class with Don C was a great start to improving my diving for a lifetime, and I'm about to head out on Day 2 of my Fundies class with Gideon Liew. I'm already learning a bunch and can't wait to hit the water today and see what Gideon has for us in the water (yesterday was pretty much slides, gear config, and swim tests with some kick practice in the pool).

But TSandM is correct, having good control is very confidence-inspiring throughout your dives. And having good buddies trained similarly and featuring great team skills makes me feel a lot safer in the water. Whatever people may say about the DIR system, it works very well.

Peace,
Greg

The cost of the classes are a bit more then most but after them you feel like you stole the information. It's just not enough money for what you get.

I can't even tell you in words how good I feel in the water after these classes. So if anyone ever has any questions let me know! :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom