Do PC-to-Dive Computer Interfaces Exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perry64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know that many dive computers (DC) attached to PC's so you can download your dive information to the PC. And I've heard that some DC's let you plan dives on them, but that the few button interface makes this of limited usefulness?

Does anyone know of a PC-DC interface where the data flows the opposite way? That is, you can plan your dive on your PC using all the great UI's available there, and when complete download it to your DC? I haven't, but I know very little about what's available out there.

This would allow DC's to alert you to if you are violating your plan on your dive. I know you would never want to RELY upon a computer to ensure you follow your plan, but I'm a big believer in having lots of backups and idiot checks.

Bluetooth is very cheap and reliable, and the DC could be built to communicate via BT to a laptop or even an iPhone/Droid. This would allow them to avoid having to put another hole in the WT casing of the DC which can leak.

This is an interesting question, but I fail to see the useful nature of what you seek.

While a dive computer allows you to plan and see information about your upcoming dive, it collects information about the actual dive in progress. This is much more informative than having it programmed from your home PC to alert you if you are violating your home computer's dive plan. It will alert you if you are close to violating any part of your current dive.

Here is an example I can put together simply and ask questions as it moves forward...
(Based on a dive plan from a PC)

If you exceed your planned decent rate, are you to be alerted?
If you are behind your planned decent rate, are you to be alerted?
If you ascend from your rock bottom depth to view something on the reef, are you to be alerted?

The list goes on...

If you use your backup tables to plan (better yet, take a set with you on your dive after you have made your plan)... Backup plan in place

If you carry a dive watch and set it as a timer (you have your tables and a timer)... Backup plan in place

If you pay attention to your plan and stick to it as an active participant... Backup and idiot checks will be in place.
---

Good diving!

There is PC based dive planning software such as V-Planner. That will let you plan on a nice GUI but the plan will not mesh perfectly with your PDC.

Pete

There is PC based dive planning software such as V-Planner. That will let you plan on a nice GUI but the plan will not mesh perfectly with your PDC.

Pete

Unless you use an X1 with V-planner live.

Not all desk top planning software uses VPM. If you have a DC that uses Buhlmann you could use one of the Buhlmann based desktop planners.

Yes, the Suunto Helo2 will upload your dive plan from the Dive Planner software with all dive parameters, gas mixes, personal & altitude adjustments and alarms.

It might be interesting to be able to put a profile into your DC and have the DC tell you if you're off your runtime plan and what you have to do to get back on it.

Unless you use an X1 with V-planner live.

Not all desk top planning software uses VPM. If you have a DC that uses Buhlmann you could use one of the Buhlmann based desktop planners.

That's cool. I didn't know that the 2 technologies had converged.

Back
Top Bottom