Quick disconnect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I've never used a computer before and am looking at purchasing one. I was hoping someone could explain to me what is it and whether it is worth the added cost. The computer I'm thinking about buying is the Aeris Atmos ai.

The quick disconnect coupling allows you to remove the computer from the regulator. That's handy if you want to take the computer with you for, for example, filling in a logbook or downloading it etc, where having it attached to the reg might be a bit of a pain.

Also, there may be times when you want to take the computer off of the reg for security purposes (like on a diving vacation where you might not always have eyes on your gear) or when your reg in storage or whatever.

R..

They make the math easier, often handle your safety stop time and give you feedback you probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise BUT they are a luxury. I would suggest getting one with EAN support even if you don't use it currently. Otherwise computers from most of the major brands are pretty good and that includes the Atmos.

The Atmos is actually a very good computer and is air integrated with EAN support. If I went with a console computer over a wrist computer such as the Atmos, I would want the quick disconnect option.

Hello All,

I've never used a computer before and am looking at purchasing one. I was hoping someone could explain to me what is it and whether it is worth the added cost. The computer I'm thinking about buying is the Aeris Atmos ai.

I think there are a few flavors of the disconnect. I assume it's that feature you asking about given the title of the post.

One mounts at the regulator and is sometimes called a DataLink. It's a make/female 7/16 thread affair that accepts standard hoses and ports. A finger ring mates and releases the connection. This lets you move the HP hose and attached instruments to another regulator (so equipped). I use this product to move instruments between regulator sits (DIN, Yoke, Double Hose). It does form a rigid extension from the regulator and does represent an extra potential failure point. It's also nice when you want to bring the instruments in for download or for security.

The other flavor may be proprietary and it lets you remove the instrument from the end of the hose. This will probably be a brand specific item.

Pete

I had the atmos ai and I can tell you how it works. The disconnect is a way, as the others have said, to take the computer with you to download, or log the dives, or just to aid storage (transportation). A hose connected computer cannot do any of that but a wireless computer can. The disconnect is kind of intermediate step giving you a full direct pressure connection and without the perceived issues with wireless. As someone who now has many types of computers, I'd go straight for a wireless unit. I use the Oceanic and I have seldom had any problems and never had an interuption in the water.

Mrs DS and I both dive Atmos ai w/ quick disconnect. We love them and find them easy to use. We might upgrade to wireless someday, but these are working well.

Back
Top Bottom