Backup Depth Guage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saluki450

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
All-

I dive with an Atmos Aeros Ai as my primary computer, which shows depth, downtime, etc. Over the winter I won a Suunto Vyper 2 through a raffle at a dive show. I was going to use it as a backup, and was thinking of also adding an analog pressure gauge too. That way if my primary computer were to fritz out I could continue to dive on my backup.

So my question is will an analog pressure gauge cause any issues with my air integrated computer? Thanks!

Dan

Last edited:
You might want to edit the title of your post, it sounds like you are asking about a backup pressure guage. And the answer is no, an analog SPG will not cause any problems with your AI computer. The only thing to verify is that your first stage must have another high pressure port to connect the SPG.

I agree a backup pressure gauge will not interfere with the transmitter for you AI computer......

For the first few dives I would track them both to see if there is any significant deviation between them......just so you know and are not caught off guard one day.....

Typically SPG's are most accurate between 25% and 75% of their range......

So I would run a tank down very low in the comfort of you living room and track the computer against your SPG.....

Then of the first few dives mentally do the same.......until you figure out how they track.....

Hope this helps.....M

All-

I dive with an Atmos Aeros Ai as my primary computer, which shows depth, downtime, etc. Over the winter I won a Suunto Vyper 2 through a raffle at a dive show. I was going to use it as a backup, and was thinking of also adding an analog pressure gauge too. That way if my primary computer were to fritz out I could continue to dive on my backup.

So my question is will an analog pressure gauge cause any issues with my air integrated computer? Thanks!

Dan
As others have said, there's no problem putting another pressure gauge on your 1st stage as long as you have the HP port for it. Where you're going to run into problems is with your computers. Ideally you want to use a back-up computer that runs the same algorithm as your primary. In your case you're using a PDC with a liberal algorithm (Aeris Atmos) as your primary. And a conservative PDC (Suunto Vyper 2) as your back-up. The Suunto will give you shorter NDL's. So, you'll either have to go with your Suunto's limits, or put the Aeris into a more conservative mode (or just dive the Aeris more conservatively). Otherwise, if you ignore the Suunto, you risk having it go into guage only mode and making it useless as a back-up computer for a day or so.

Just something to think about. . .

FishOutUvH2O makes a great point diving two computers with different deco algorithms can be confusing.......

I dive two Suunto's a Vyper and a Gekko but they both give the exact same NDL.....

M

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Unfortunately my first stage only has one HP port, which is already in use. I'm not technical enough to think of a work around, so if anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Dan

I was diving last month and for the first time my computer went out at
about 40 ft. during my dive. I started carrying a back up depth gauge only
a few months before. Since it is not air integrated I still had my mechanical
spg and as luck would have it I was wearing my dive watch which I set the bezel
to zero before the dive. A back-up depth gauge as well as back-up spg when
using air integrated is a good thing !

Back
Top Bottom