basic dive computer help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpeterson

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving, and want to purchase a dive computer. There are so many out there and each dive shop tells you theirs is the best.. so all you experienced divers out there, this is what I want in a wrist dive computer.

depth
compass
time in the water
NDL
safety stop notification
max depth

should I want more .. if not.. what is the best computer with these functions. I do not want air integrated I will have tank pressure on my consol, I'd like to stay mechanical on that. so. .help I'd love suggestions. My budget is around 700. tops

I use an Aeris XR-1NX. Simple, one button operation, console or wrist mounted, no AI. Does not have an integrated compass. I jeep SPG/Computer/Compass all in the console. Does everything you list, plus EANx, if you go that route in the future. If you're sure EANx is not going to happen, you can save a few bucks by getting the XR-1 insted of the XR-1NX.

I recommend that you add Nitrox to the list of requirements, even if you don't use it yet. If you really want the compass I can recommend the Suunto Vyper Air. Make sure you price it without the optional air integration. If you decide you can go with a separate analog compass then many compters on the market will do what you want. It will come down to user preference and local support. You want to be sure you can see the display (that rules out many of the smaller computer for me). Go to shops and try them out. Make the shop actually show you the computer functions, not just tell you how great it is. Support is important, if they won't take the time to explain and demo the computer before the sale you probably won't get much help after.

as the previous posters said, the only thing on your list that isn't standard is the compass. if you can get along without that, you have pretty much all computers open to you.

i agree that you need nitrox, too, even if you don't dive it now.

As other have said, except for Nitrox you have everything most divers need. The compass is a bit of an issue. Most DC do not have one (at least in a small wrist mount package, mostly in big a$$ consoles).

One thing to ask your self if how accurate a compass do you need? If you need basic accuracy (like +/- 15 degrees) then you might consider a clip on mini-compass for about $15. While nothing to write home about, they are good enough for find the shore entry or out and back navigation. If you do need accuracy, then it is hard to beat a full sized dive compass like the Suunto SK7 that is typically mounted on your other wrist away from all metallic objects that through off any compass.

Last edited:
Hi,
we have developed online classes for several models.
Each class has tons of videos.
The first few videos of each class are free and they are good enough to give You an idea on the specific dive computer capabilities.

So far we have 13 classes and we are adding ~3 new classes every month. You can see list here.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom