Stuck Between 2 computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KaizerWilhelm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm looking at getting my first computer and right now I'm stuck between two of them: Oceanic Veo 100 NX and the Aires Manta. I've searched and cannot find anything about the computers. Are either of these good beginning computers? Also, if I were to get these in wrist mount, I assume I'd also need to get an SPG console?

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome. Or just any other computer that y'all think would be good.

Thanks,
Will

So I'm looking at getting my first computer and right now I'm stuck between two of them: Oceanic Veo 100 NX and the Aires Manta. I've searched and cannot find anything about the computers. .......l
We have an online class for the Manta. Lots of videos and "How-To" examples.

Regards,

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Just an SPG on a hose? Wouldn't that knock around? Or could I just connect a retractor cord to it?

Just an SPG on a hose? Wouldn't that knock around? Or could I just connect a retractor cord to it?

I did not know Kaisers ever had time to ask questions on SB about such a minor thing like a computer :)

Just attach a bolt snap to a brass and glass SPG. And get a wrist compass and a computer

Getting back to the main question: I don't have any experience with the Oceanic, but I do have an Aeris Manta.

First off, the Manta is only a wrist mount, not air-integrated, and like pretty much any Aeris computer, it's liberal. I find it easy to read, and it's "wearable" as a (rather taste-impaired) wristwatch if you're into that. It's not the most intuitive computer to find your way around at first, but I expected that with the extra modes they built into it. You can download the manual at the Aeris web site if you want to get an idea of how it works.

The Manta spends most of its time these days in gauge mode as backup to my Elite T3 (when I bought it, it was actually a better deal than a dedicated bottom timer -- and it has a user-replaceable battery). I've used it as a stand-alone nitrox computer, and it's certainly more than adequate for the recreational diver. I've been pleased with it overall.

I'll concur with the suggestions for a brass-and-glass SPG clipped at the waist. Once you take air-integration out of the feature mix, a vast world of dive computer options opens up to you.

My manta works great and haven't had any problems with it. Menu navigation is a little odd until you use it a few times, then it becomes 2nd nature.

Back
Top Bottom