Trip Report = Blue O Two M/Y Blue Melody - Deep South - June 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just returned from a Blue O Two “Deep South” trip (southern Egyptian Red Sea) aboard M/Y Blue Melody 28 May to 4 June. Fantastic experience on my first ever liveaboard trip. Blue Melody is a great boat = well-maintained, very comfortable & roomy. The boat crew and guides (Karin, Kevin & Aladdin) were all fantastic. Detailed, informative dive briefings. Well-run dive logistics. Crew was very customer service-oriented and always seemed to be there just when you needed their help, whether zipping up a wetsuit, helping with a BC strap or answering a question.

I was traveling solo on the trip, but settled in quickly with new dive buddies and a friendly roommate. There was a UK dive club group of 19 on the boat, but this wasn’t an issue as everyone mixed and mingled quite nicely.

Diving: although visibility was not crystal clear, the diving was great. During our trip through St. John’s, Fury Shoals, Elphinstone, etc. we saw beautiful reefs, cool reef cave systems/swim-throughs and great marine life. Some sharks on the trip (my group saw silkies, white tipped reef sharks and an oceanic white tip; others saw hammerheads), but not huge numbers. We did see one large dolphin underwater and mantas feeding at the surface at night from the boat. Karin even spotted the elusive dugong on our last dive. I dove 19 of the possible 20 dives. We had a full boat with 26 divers; we were normally broken up into 2 main groups so that things weren’t too crowded gearing up. My dive buddy group of 3 used the guides for one dive but dove on our own for the rest of the week. Diving was a mix of zodiac and mother ship entry/pick-up. Dive schedule was 06.00 dive briefing/dive, breakfast, ~11.00 dive, lunch, ~15.00 dive, dinner, night dive.

The highlight for me was our last night dive where we had a visit from a rather curious Oceanic White Tip. Floating mid-water in the dark waiting for the shark to come into view was definitely interesting. I managed to capture some video of the Oceanic = see link below.

I would heartily recommend Blue O Two for Red Sea liveaboard trips and will certainly use them again!

Chris

Oceanic White Tip Video (click on the image to watch):

Last edited:
I'll re-check my logbook when I'm at home tonight, but I believe it was at Abu Dabab VI, which is about a 30 minute boat trip south of Elphinstone (we moored at Abu Dabab for the night and dove Elphinstone the next morning as we headed north).

Interestingly enough, I showed this video to Elke (another BO2 dive guide who is doing Longimanus research) when we were back in Port Ghalib. She was on Blue Horizon and was diving Elphinstone the same morning we were there = she saw the same shark from my video on one of her dives (distinctive tail she ID'ed right away). She said it was a younger female...and was a new one she didn't yet have in her database.

An Oceanic on Abu Dabab VI is a rather unique experience!

...a...

Yes - Elke said the same thing to me, since the water there is not very deep (bottom at 15m where we saw her). We were obviously very lucky to have had this experience at this particular site.

The shark was cruising close to the surface as we were gearing up. Karin the dive guide identified it as an OWT as we were about to jump in. Once underwater, we (2 buddy groups of 3) hung underneath the boat at about 7-8 meters while the shark came in for 4-5 close looks at us.....cruising out into the darkness out of sight and then coming back. Unfortunately I tried to take still pictures on the first few passes and got some pretty poor results....luckily I switched to video for the last pass and was fortunate enough to get that footage. Very cool experience.

Chris

Thnx for the report

Super jealous. Sounds like you did a similar itinerary to me a couple of weeks back (St Johns and Deep South) but I think I used up all my good luck last year and were possibly playing to the lowest common denominator of one of our divers, with a mere 4 previous dives.

Video of the OWT at night is great - must have got your heart going :) especially wondering whether there were any others around :)

Thanks for the report - very helpful and interesting. Out of curiosity, I don't suppose you have a list of the dive sites you visited? I'd be keen to compare it to the sites we dived (rather more coral gardens than I'd hoped). I'll PM you my list when I get home this evening. Just interested to see how much our itineraries varied and whether the reason we didn't see much is because of the dive sites chosen.

Thanks,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom