Computerized BCD????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard that Scubapro is trying to design a BCD which would have a computerised system integrated in the BCD allowing for set speeds of ascent and descent rate which the diver would not need to control. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks

I don't know about ScubaPro, but I did see an "Electronic BC" that was supposed to control bouyancy for the diver. I can't remember who makes it, maybe someone else here does.

I can't beleive that anyone would actually buy one of these things.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I don't know about ScubaPro, but I did see an "Electronic BC" that was supposed to control bouyancy for the diver. I can't remember who makes it, maybe someone else here does.

I can't beleive that anyone would actually buy one of these things.

Hope it comes with it's own shovel, so the survivors don't have to make a second trip.

Custer once bubbled...

Hope it comes with it's own shovel, so the survivors don't have to make a second trip.

Dude, you lose. Another piece of gear already has that joke! :eek:ut:

jonnythan once bubbled...

Dude, you lose. Another piece of gear already has that joke! :eek:ut:

Trust me, I saw it the very first time, and, it doesn't mean that's the only kit that needs one.

Custer once bubbled...

Yeah, the thing is a pure deathtrap.

be difficult to do, nor expensive really.

However, it would require tank air for both inflation and deflation (not just like the AirTrim either - you'd need an ACTIVE system to evacuate air)

There is a lot to go wrong with such a system - including but not limited to batteries going dead.

I remember reading about a BC that you could set to maintain your depth or program in a new depth and it would inflate or deflate to get you there. Don't recall who made it, but saw the add in a dive magazine about in 2001. Cost was about $1,600 if I remember right. Oh yeah, I remember now, it was December 2001, one of those What to get the diver with everything list.

wow .. I really wish they would use the R&D dept to come up with something that would be cool and a useful addition to the range of gear we already have.

No the heads-up display is much more a need than a auto-BC.

I'd buy a heads-up display mask but how is a auto-BC going to know I want to look at that fish down there and then at the wall up there - do I have to tell it each time I wish to move up and down - sounds like an air waster to me.

I hope that any company designing one of these wastes all it's money on R&D and goes belly up before it reaches the market. That way we won't have to sit around and debate the stupidity of it.

Back
Top Bottom