Help me kill time in Hurghada or Marsa Alam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In September I've got a liveaboard scheduled. I've also got time before and after to dive or do other things. So I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations of operators, etc.

My flight gets into Hurghada. The liveaboard departs from Marsa Alam for the St. Johns route. They will transfer me between the two but only on the days immediately before/after the liveaboard, so I figured I'd base myself out of Hurghada for the rest unless there is a good reason not to and incur additional expense.

Before the trip I have about half a day. After the trip I've got an afternoon and two full days (can't dive the last day). So, what can I do? Any dive sites around Hurghada I shouldn't miss? I read somewhere about oases in the desert that are a possiblity. I was just in Cairo and Luxor last month for several days each, so a quickie trip there is not in the cards.

Thanks for any advice,

Eric

I'm sure people will be able to assist you better if you specify which day of the week you are in Hurghada...

half a day? I wouldent plan anything special for half a day... take a taxi down to the marina, go to "Shade" and relax in the "fatboys" chairs with a beer....

for your return days: get drunk and dance to the early morning at either hed kandi, ministry or buddha...then relax at dream beach or the swimming pool at hed kandi the last day... buy some cheap gear... go to the dentist...

wish u nice diving in Marsa :)

I'll be in Hurghada from about 22:00 on a Wednesday to about 18:00 on a Thursday and then again probably morning on a Thursday to afternoon on a Sunday.

Getting drunk and dancing are not my things. Thanks, though. :cool2:

Well u should get on a daily dive-trip on friday then... you would just have to go with the flow I guess reg. divesites... many divecentres to choose from.

Also: compared to european prices wetsuites and all kinds of small dive-gadgets/spares are reasonably priced in egypt so pop by a diveshop and buy some equipment.. depending on what brand you use...: aqualung/seaquest is at the new marine in " Dive Stop" , O2REDSEA.COM - ???????, when u arrive at the hurghdada airport make sure you get the "package" of materials/maps/info magazines etc handed out at a stand where the luggage are picked up..

Hurghada does not offer a cultural scene as far as I know...

Aswan? Bit far though.

I'd take advantage of the local dives. There is really nothing else local in Hurghada besides the night life you said you don't like. I enjoyed the barbeque and I know others did as well. It is a bit bleak in Hurghada but there are day boats that go out fishing or diving. There are other water sports as well.

It saddens me to hear that the general opinion on Hurghada is that there is nothing to do... However, it's not far from the truth. When it comes to Traditional Cultural Scene there is nothing as Martin points out but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to roll you thumbs or get drunk. There are some activities for you if you don't want to go diving. Have a look at my website WELCOME TO AZIAB where I have collected my experience from living in Egypt since 1999. There is one page on each location on the Egyptian Mainland and the Sinai side is being developed right now. You find both HURGHADA and MARSA ALAM and if you have further questions feel free to contact me directly.

...a...

When it comes to daily diving you should probably try to find a centre close to you. It's a bit of a drag to sit 40 minutes in a transfer in both directions. Let me know where you stay and I'll recommend you a godd dive centre in the area.

...a...

Hi Eric,
after your liveaboard-trip you should go for a desert-trip. Try to find an agency, which organises a barbecue with overnight in the desert - but not in a tent. It is worth to sleep under the sky on a matress with millions of stars without light-pollution. If you don`t find sufficient information from the other members of this diving community in Egypt send me a private mail. I can give you the coordinates of my Egyptian friend Ihab in Hurghada, who will try to help you. But it is not his business.
Cheers
Rembert from Switzerland
SDS Europe (Standard Dive Service)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom