Should I get the same dive watch for me and my daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flaucher

Registered
Reaction score
If I get the same computer for both of us then we only have to learn one.
BUT
It would only give us one dive model to work with - the diversity of two different brands could be 'safer'

Thoughts

By "diversity," I assume you mean that if there's a technical glitch with one, it wouldn't affect both?

I'd go for the same type of computer for both of you, so you can help each other out with how they function.

We have four divers in our family; two use Oceanic Veo 250 computers, and the other two use the related but different Aeris Atmos II.

Since we only do about one dive trip per year, that means we can't all help each other out with reviewing how the computers work before we use them. Wish all four of our computers were the same.

If you have two different types of computers, if one of them malfunctions you can't both share the other one. If it happens during a dive, the protocol is for the diver with the malfunctioning computer to switch to a backup computer if available, or to dive tables. It would normally mean aborting that dive; and either waiting 24 hours to totally off-gas or, if you know your maximum depth and dive time, start with those data using tables for the next dive.

So no advantage to computer diversity, I don't think.

I use two computers that are the same so I can assure that I am using the same algorithm. Having two different computers is more of a hassle in my mind.

Why would having one person uses a different algorithm and another person uses a different algorithm "safer"?

Every person is going to have different diving profiles unless they're somehow joined at the hips. Add on top another algorithm isn't going provide any more safety value.

The first person that approaches NDL or runs low on air is the one that determines ascension time.

Why would having one person uses a different algorithm and another person uses a different algorithm "safer"?

Yeah, when I first read the OP's post, I also thought s/he was talking about computers with different algorithms. And, no, that wouldn't make them safer.

But I'm not sure a beginning diver would know that there even are different algorithms. That's why my assumption in the second post above that, by "diversity of two different brands," what s/he meant was that there would maybe be less likelyhood of both failing at the same time for the same technical reason... :idk:

Get in on a haggle knock em down price on a superseded model then tell em you want two.

BUT It would only give us one dive model to work with - the diversity of two different brands could be 'safer' Thoughts

Sounds like a good idea. I mean, who wants to go through the hassle of learning two different things? But, and I'm just asking here, if you got two different ones, which one would be the safest?

Why would having one person uses a different algorithm and another person uses a different algorithm "safer"?.
Maybe the OP was referring to the RELIABILITY of the product ?
Using 2 different brands/models will reduce the probability that they break at the same time ?

whatever you buy ..... make sure you learn how to properly operate it :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom