Dry to Fly - or - Booze for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Van Isle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
as many of you know making one's goals public is a great motivator and can really cement the effort in the mind of the one changing his or her habits. To that end I invite you to hear my goal:

My girlfriend and I have decided to drastically reduce our level of alcohol consumption.

It came about like this: the end of a weekend of some great dives, a few pints of beer at the pub, and a small bottle of gin shared over the weekend. I tallied the cost of the booze, and it came to roughly 1/20 what it would cost us to top our airmiles to get us to Bonaire. In a single, pretty average weekend. Then and there, with that realization, we decided to go Dry to Fly, or trade our Booze for Bonaire.

We've got a family heirloom (long story :shakehead: ) 1 US gal bottle of Seagram's, empty, and we've siliconed the lid on. There is a slot in the lid, and this will be our piggy bank. Not a cheapy one with a rubber plug where you can sneak some cash out. Nope, the only way in is destruction of the bottle. So now every time we feel like picking up a six pack to go with steaks at dinner, $15 goes in to the pot. Every time we hit the pub and have a salad and a glass of water instead of a burger and a coupla pints, $20 in to the jar. :)

In addition to the money redirected towards an erstwhile far-off dream vacation, we expect and hope to see the concomitant benefits of better health, weight loss, more energy, better hydration, et cetera.

Who else out there would like to share a story about quitting drinking for diving, or quitting smoking, or any other large habit change to better their diving or better their lives? I'd love to hear it. :popcorn:

I know this is an old thread, but how did you do?

I thought it was gonna be aquestion about whether to fly sober or start drinking at YVR:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom