Oceanic GEO 2.0 Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abciverson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received my new GEO 2 the other day. I spent a couple hours going through the manual and adjusting all the settings. So, I take it to the pool today to try it out before our trip to San Diego next weekend and... it floods. I was wondering if anyone else that has bought this computer has had this problem? I re-read through the manual and Quick start guide to see if I had missed a very important set-up step that may have caused this situation, but I could not find anything other than to wake it up from its "deep sleep" and use it. I have already contacted the shop I bought it from and they are going to replace it for me, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience or can point out the error of my ways. Any comment from the Oceanic reps would be much appreciated. Thank you.

-Bryant

There's a better than average chance the cause was either a missing or mis-seated battery cover O-ring. I've seen it twice before with Oceanics. If it was that, then it could have either been the shop replacing the battery before they sent it out and not replacing/improper replacement of the O-ring. Or, it could have been just a "Friday" build from the factory. At least the shop you bought it from is replacing it, hopefully quickly and without any hassles. So, to answer your question, I doubt you had anything to do with the flooding.

I know it wasnt the shop's fault beacuse they gave it to me in the shipping package that they recieved it in, so it had never been opened since it left the factor. (Myabe I will have them open it and take a look at it before it gets to me next time) I just want to make sure that when my new one arrives, I dont cause it to flood. I will pay special attention to the battery cover before it ever sees water. Thanks for the info.

It's kind of a "Catch-22". If it did flood through the battery compartment because of an O-ring/battery cover problem. Then the only way to really know if the new one isn't going to flood for the same reason is to open the battery compartment, check, and risk seating the O-ring/battery cover wrong. Fortunately, removing/replacing the battery covers on the Geos is not really that difficult if you read, re-read, and then read again, the instructions.

I know it wasnt the shop's fault beacuse they gave it to me in the shipping package that they recieved it in, so it had never been opened since it left the factor. (Myabe I will have them open it and take a look at it before it gets to me next time) I just want to make sure that when my new one arrives, I dont cause it to flood. I will pay special attention to the battery cover before it ever sees water. Thanks for the info.

I opened the battery compartment on mine to reset it (don't ask why) and it sealed again properly. It was pretty easy. I bring the tool, download cable, instructions, and a spare battery along on trips. I did it in the air conditioned room and was very careful about getting dust, etc. into the compartment. I did not pay attention to if it needed lubrication.

I'm sure it was a manufacture defect of some sorts. Took it to the dive shop today and the tech looked at it and couldn't see any obvious reasons why it would have flooded. Anyway, they are going to make sure I have my replacement before I have to leave for my trip.

If it helps, one of the two brand new Oceanics that I've seen flood was my VT3. It's replacement has 300+ dives on it with no problems. I also dive a Geo that has the same number of dives (I bought it as a back-up after the original VT3 incident) and it's also been problem free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom